Daniel Jacobs keeping close eye on Canelo Alvarez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. bout
Jacobs believes he was elevated by close loss to Gennady Golovkin and has big plans
When Daniel Jacobs reflected on the impact of his performance last month in losing a close unanimous decision to unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, he regularly circled back to the same phrase.
"We didn't take a loss in this fight," Jacobs told CBS Sports on Thursday.
While Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) certainly believed he had done enough to warrant at least a draw, his comments reflected more about what the performance had done for his career since snapping Golovkin's impressive knockout streak at 23 fights and becoming the first fighter to take GGG the full 12-round distance.
"I think I made a big statement," Jacobs said. "I think a lot of fans now are willing to follow and support me in my career because they realize that I have what it takes to be one of the best in the world. I competed and a lot of people agree that I even defeated GGG in this bout so people are just excited to see what I have in store for the future and it's a great opportunity for me because this is the place that I always wanted to be."
Jacobs, who has inspired many with his comeback from a near fatal battle with a rare form of bone cancer, is hoping to use his elevated platform to help others through work done with his Get in the Ring Foundation, which supports children battling cancer, bullying and obesity through wellness and leadership programs.
A proud native of Brooklyn, New York, Jacobs will be honored Saturday for his philanthropic work at the Barclays Center before the start of the Andre Berto-Shawn Porter welterweight fight (Showtime, 9:30 p.m. ET/PT). In fact, Saturday has been deemed "Daniel Jacobs Day" by the fighter's home borough.
"I always wanted to be that guy who was flourishing in his career at this stage," Jacobs said. "I'm in my prime and I'm looking forward to doing so much, not just inside the ring but outside of it as well. With this philanthropy thing that I'm doing with my foundation, it's keeping me active, it's keeping me busy and making a positive change. I just felt like the creator has put me in a position to be able to give back."
Jacobs, 30, now believes he's also in a great spot to land a series of big fights, as well. In order to do so, he was forced to not only pursue a fight with Golovkin, which few big-name middleweights had been willing to, but take his business across boxing's political divide to HBO.
"I think for me to take all those challenges knowing that we were in someone else's backyard, it spoke volumes and a lot of people respect me for making those decisions," Jacobs said. "I think it shows the character of who I am and what I'm all about and what I'm willing to do to please the fans and make entertainment."
Asked whether he debunked the myth of Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), Jacobs wasn't willing to take the bait. But rising from an early knockdown and using his advantages in size and speed, Jacobs clearly had more success than any of GGG's previous opponents. He also appeared to frustrate Golovkin by switching stances throughout.
"I won't say I exposed him because I felt like everything that he has gained over the years -- the notoriety of his skills -- I think he has that," Jacobs said. "But I just think that I am that and more. It's not that you can take that away from Gennady, but more so add it to Daniel because [Golovkin] is a talented fighter and what everyone made him out to be, he is. In my opinion, I think I was better."
Despite being a large middleweight, Jacobs said he expects to continue his campaign at 160 and has no issue staying fit between fights in order to make the weight safely. He also said he wasn't surprised that Golovkin and his team had no interest in an immediate rematch, instead choosing to sit idle in hopes of a fall showdown with Canelo Alvarez.
"I knew that they were going to take that route. I knew that the Canelo match was something that was on their radar," Jacobs said. "In such a tough fight like this, I know there's a lot of risk and not too much reward so I know the sport of boxing. I know that it's not something that they would be looking forward to."
While Jacobs wasn't offering any specific names regarding what opponent might be next for him, his plan is to stay busy and get the most out of his prime. One thing he will be doing, however, is keeping a close eye on the May 6 PPV bout between Alvarez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Jacobs wouldn't go as far as making a prediction but did say the fans will be the winner due to how entertaining a fight it is expected to be.
"We are still going to have some big matches in the future with let's say Canelo, Chavez and everyone else in the middleweight division," Jacobs said. "At the end of the day, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next for me. I would love to face any one of those guys but more importantly, stepping back into the ring and pleasing the fans. I can't wait."
The unbeaten heavyweight handicaps the Joshua-Klitschko title bout and wants winner in uni...
Wilder, an unbeaten titleholder, challenged Joseph Parker on Monday
Despite troubles with the law, Broner eyes pay-per-view bout against Terence Crawford
Porter pressured Berto all night long before finally stopping the veteran fighter
The WBC champ is on a roll and crushed Charles Hatley on Saturday
The former welterweight titlists square off in Saturday's welterweight title eliminator