Manny Pacquiao vs. Amir Khan fight plans pushed to November by Bob Arum
An investment group in UAE failing to produce money has Pacquiao's next fight off the rails
With Manny Pacquiao’s spring return against Amir Khan off the table after an unnamed investment group was unable to produce a proposed offer of $38 million to bring the fight to the United Arab Emirates, promoter Bob Arum has pushed the bout back until later this year.
Arum, of Top Rank, was publicly skeptical of the UAE deal from the beginning despite premature tweets announcing the fight from both Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs) and Khan (31-4, 19 KOs). But the Hall of Fame promoter recently spoke in Las Vegas with ABS-CBN of the Philippines to update his plans for Pacquiao.
“[The Khan] fight can’t happen in April because the people who were putting on the money were not able to,” Arum said. “Hopefully, that fight can happen in November.”
Pacquiao, 38, who outpointed Jessie Vargas last November to reclaim the WBO welterweight title he lost to Floyd Mayweather in 2015, is now expected to return in June. Neither the opponent nor site of his bout has been finalized.
Before the Khan talks heated up, Arum had been close to finalizing an April title defense for Pacquiao in Australia against unheralded contender Jeff Horn, but Pacquiao and adviser Michael Koncz turned it down.
“I don’t know yet where [Pacquiao’s return] will be,” said Arum. “We are discussing various places, but obviously the fight finances is always there as part of making the fight, so that’s not a problem.”
Despite focus on Conor McGregor, Mayweather pulled no punches on GGG
Troubles with the law continue for the former four-division titleholder
The unified junior welterweight champion continues to stake claim as one of P4P best
Uncle of Andre Dirrell sought by police for sucker punch of Jose Uzcategui after he was di...
The unbeaten junior lightweight titleholder looked dominant in victory over Liam Walsh
Arguably the best welterweight in the world is back in action on Saturday night