NEW DELHI (AP) -Sachin Tendulkar factbox following his retirement from one-day internationals on Sunday:
Full name: Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.
Date of birth: April 24, 1973 (Mumbai, India).
Height: 1.65 meters (5-foot-5).
Major teams: India, Mumbai, Mumbai Indians, Yorkshire, Asia XI.
Nicknames: Little Master, Tendlya.
First-class debut: Mumbai vs. Gujarat, Mumbai, 1988.
Test debut: vs. Pakistan at Karachi, 1989.
ODI debut: vs. Pakistan at Gujranwala, 1989.
Maiden test century: 119 not out vs. England at Old Trafford, Manchester in 1990 (9th test appearance).
Maiden ODI century: 110 vs. Australia, Colombo, 1994 (79th ODI appearance).
First to score 100 international centuries (51 in tests, 49 in one-dayers).
Some interesting facts about Tendulkar
- Tendulkar wanted to be a fast bowler but was rejected by Australian great Dennis Lillee at the MRF Pace Academy at Chennai in 1987.
- Was a ballboy during the 1987 World Cup on the Indian subcontinent.
- Scored 326 in a 664-run partnership with former India player Vinod Kambli during an inter-school game in 1988.
- Is the youngest Indian to play English county cricket, at 19, and was also Yorkshire's first overseas professional in 1992.
- Scored tons on debut in all three major domestic first-class competitions: Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy and Irani Cup.
- His favorite sports star is not a cricketer but a tennis player, John McEnroe.
- Batted in his debut test at Karachi wearing pads presented by India's legendary opener Sunil Gavaskar.
- Used a very heavy bat throughout his career - usually around 1.5 kilograms (3.2-3.3 pounds).
- Scored five test centuries before the age of 20.
- His best year in ODIs was 1998 - nine centuries for 1,894 runs in that year.
- Became a Member of Parliament in 2012 when he was nominated to India's higher house of Parliament - the Rajya Sabha.