Eye on College Basketball Podcast: On Calipari, Wichita and Wooden
Gary Parrish and CBS Sports' Seth Davis discuss Davis' new book on UCLA icon John Wooden before getting into conversations about Wichita State, San Diego State, John Calipari and Doug McDermott.
I sat down Thursday with CBS Sports' Seth Davis to look back, look ahead and discuss a number of issues in the sport. Among them:
- How great is the Wichita State story of a possible undefeated season?
- Why can't some understand WSU is really good regardless of league affiliation?
- How did Steve Fisher build San Diego State into a West Coast monster?
- Should fans -- like, say, Maryland fans -- be more patient with coaches?
- Does John Calipari really think writers are rooting for his Kentucky Wildcats to fail?
- And does Calipari realize it was writers who ranked his team preseason No. 1?
- Why do some reject Doug McDermott as a historically great college player?
Beyond all that, we spent the first half of the podcast talking about Seth's new book -- "Wooden: A Coach's Life." I asked Seth why he decided to take on this challenge, how difficult it was to try to profile Wooden from every angle, and if the iconic UCLA coach was really as principled as he presented himself to be late in life?
The latest Eye on College Basketball podcast is below.
Give it a listen.
--> MP3: download the episode here.
--> Popout player: to play pod in a separate window on the Web.
--> If you're not already subscribed via iTunes, please do so now.
Buddy Boeheim was so impressive at Peach Jam that Gonzaga offered; others showing interest
The truths and myths about the push for 2018's No. 1 recruit to play college hoops a year...
Here are the under-the-radar players who will have breakout seasons in 2017-18
Duke coach says sometimes troubled guard played hurt last season, adding, 'I'm really proud...
Michigan, Marquette, California, LSU and VCU are also in the 34th annual field
The expected rise of Missouri figures to be a storyline once they start playing for real