Eye on College Basketball Podcast: On Calipari, Wichita and Wooden
Gary Parrish and CBS Sports' Seth Davis discuss Davis' new book on UCLA icon John Wooden before getting into conversations about Wichita State, San Diego State, John Calipari and Doug McDermott.
I sat down Thursday with CBS Sports' Seth Davis to look back, look ahead and discuss a number of issues in the sport. Among them:
- How great is the Wichita State story of a possible undefeated season?
- Why can't some understand WSU is really good regardless of league affiliation?
- How did Steve Fisher build San Diego State into a West Coast monster?
- Should fans -- like, say, Maryland fans -- be more patient with coaches?
- Does John Calipari really think writers are rooting for his Kentucky Wildcats to fail?
- And does Calipari realize it was writers who ranked his team preseason No. 1?
- Why do some reject Doug McDermott as a historically great college player?
Beyond all that, we spent the first half of the podcast talking about Seth's new book -- "Wooden: A Coach's Life." I asked Seth why he decided to take on this challenge, how difficult it was to try to profile Wooden from every angle, and if the iconic UCLA coach was really as principled as he presented himself to be late in life?
The latest Eye on College Basketball podcast is below.
Give it a listen.
--> MP3: download the episode here.
--> Popout player: to play pod in a separate window on the Web.
--> If you're not already subscribed via iTunes, please do so now.
Archie Miller's debut season at Indiana will be a top-10 storyline in college basketball
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander discuss last week's NBA Draft and look to next year's
Mizzou's basketball arena has around $1000,00 in damage
The two SEC coaches let everyone know what changes they think should come to the NBA Draft
It's not an outstanding slate, but the Big Ten has good opportunities with the most interesting...
The 2017 NBA Draft had more freshmen, and fewer seniors, taken in the first round than ever...