Podcast: Doug Gottlieb shares his best Majerus stories
It was a heavy weekend in college hoops. Rick Majerus, the coaching great, died at 64. The sport is still reeling from the news, and this podcast delves deep into the complicated man he was. I'm bringing back on CBS Sports' Doug Gottlieb to get into the interesting, brilliant, funny, angry, complex and hypocritical facets of a man who was forced away from the game too early.
|Today's pod isn't all Majerus talk; the second half dives into Duke's ceiling. (US Presswire)|
It was a heavy weekend in college hoops. Rick Majerus, the coaching great, died at 64. The sport is still reeling from the news, and this podcast delves deep into the complicated man he was. I'm bringing back on CBS Sports' Doug Gottlieb to get into the interesting, brilliant, funny, angry, complex and hypocritical facets of a man who was forced away from the game because he lived a lifestyle filled with too much food and not enough discipline.
It's one of our longest podcasts to date. The first half is dedicated to Majerus stories, and the second discusses everything from Kentucky's stumbles to UCLA's issues to Indiana vs. Duke and the sleeper teams sprouting up in the distance. You can catch Doug (a plug, but he didn't ask me to do this) every weeknight at midnight ET on CBS Sports Network. "Lead Off" is the show, and it's a nice format and engaging watch.
He'll be doing more studio work and color commentary at games going forward as well.
- From the beginning: It's all Majerus talk for the first 30 minutes. I won't be time-stamping it out because it's all pretty terrific. Good and bad. Talk of casual nudity, Majerus' humor, wants, hypocritical nature and even defecating at half-court during a practice. Doug brings it here.
- 28:08: Might as well get used to the fact that UCLA is going to become the Dallas Cowboys/New York Jets of this college basketball season. Going to be relevant whether they deserve it or not.
- 33:40: Oh, right, Kentucky's actually riding a two-game losing streak right now. The Wildcats lost their first home game under John Calipari on Saturday. Doug says this team can't -- not won't -- win the national title.
- 38:00: Doug's got this great ability to compliment a team and yet at the same time make you feel like he's not so high on them. Hoosier fans, enjoy this one.
- 39:45: Duke's approaching -- or has already -- hit its ceiling.
- 45:00: A handful of Doug's "sneaky-good" and "horriawful" teams. These nominees interspersed with some general chatter as well. Yeah, it's a long listen, but I think you'll find it one of the more fulfilling podcasts we've done -- ever.
--> MP3: download the episode here.
--> Popout player: to play pod in a separate window on the Web.
--> If you're not already subscribed via iTunes, please do so now.
Some of these future NBA picks might work out, but others won't sniff being drafted
This is a good development for Louisville, which may avoid having its coaches forced to testify...
The athletic guard withdrew from the NBA Draft late Wednesday night
Next step in the case, which began in 2011, is for UNC to face the NCAA's Committee on Inf...
We look at 40-plus teams affected by this year's NBA Draft
Former USF head coach Orlando Antigua is not implicated in any violations