Podcast: TV side of March Madness; FGCU vs. big boys
Your second straight special-edition Tuesday podcast has Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated.
Your second successive special-edition Tuesday podcast has Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated. The media critic recently had a couple of really good pieces go up in regard to college hoops. The broadcasters draft from a few weeks ago was a fun exercise, and his most recent piece Tuesday, on coaches being on TV and who would make the best analysts, is also worth your time.
Since so many people experience this tournament mostly through television -- and, if you're reading/listening here, podcasts! -- why not discuss that angle of it for one special podcast? The ratings were good. Let's talk about those who deliver the game. We get into why some stories grow big, which broadcasters stand out, college hoops coverage as a whole and where the NCAA tournament field goes from here. A quick bite relative to other normal pods, but definitely enough to hold you over until Wednesday's with Goodman and Parrish.
Follow Deitsch on Twitter.
And if you're looking forward to the Sweet 16 games, a reminder: here's who plays when and who's on the call.
- From the beginning: Richard apparently trying to do some booking for me. It's appreciated.
- 2:40: Discussing his piece on broadcasters/coaches.
- 8:00: How good of a job do college basketball broadcasters -- play-by-play and color analysts -- do in relation to all the other sports?
- 10:35: Highest-rated tourney for the weekend in 23 years. Surprising?
- 13:55: Cinderellas like Florida Gulf Coast don't draw ratings, or so the belief goes. Is that true in 2013 and will it continue to be true this weekend or going forward?
- 17:50: Deitsch's thoughts on the first weekend in general.
- 20:40: Is Brittney Griner the most recognizable player in college basketball? Some have said that's the case, and since Deitsch writes women's hoops for SI, it's only appropriate to get his opinion.
- 22:10: What are the five most recognizable/desirable programs in college basketball to the general public? Duke and Kentucky and ...
--> MP3: download the episode here.
--> Popout player: to play pod in a separate window on the Web.
--> If you're not already subscribed via iTunes, please do so now.
Our Latest Stories
It's not just crunch time for the NCAA Tournament -- it is time for NBA prospects to shine
The player who threw the punch remains suspended, while the victim is still out as he reco...
Duke is at Miami and Kansas faces a let-down situation on Saturday.
Tom Izzo's Spartans are looking to secure a profile-boosting victory over Wisconsin on Sun...
Florida puts its nine-game win streak on the line in a difficult road game at Rupp Arena on...
SMU's 10-game winning streak is on the line as it travels to UConn to face a hungry Huskies...