Some thoughts on Andrew Wiggins and his 'plan' to be a one-and-done
Andrew Wiggins having "plans" to enter the 2014 NBA Draft isn't legitimately news. But the "news" story is probably a good thing for the Kansas freshman.
When I sat down with Andrew Wiggins in September on campus at Kansas he told me that he had no way of knowing what the next six months would bring, but that, of course, he hoped he'd be in a position to enter the NBA Draft after one season of college basketball. I told him I figured he would be. He smiled. Then we talked about other things because I just assumed it was understood that this 18-year-old widely regarded as the best amateur prospect in the world planned to be a pro as soon as possible.
Just so you know, that's practically every college player's plan.
It's not a realistic plan for most, obviously.
But it's almost always the plan.
So I didn't think much of it when Wiggins acknowledged to me that such was his plan. But now he's told somebody else that's the plan, and now that plan is now generating headlines. So perhaps I need to adjust my opinion of what qualifies as news, which is why I'd like to report, right here and right now, that Kentucky's Julius Randle, Arizona's Aaron Gordon and every other projected top-10 pick currently enrolled in college has a "plan" to also enter the NBA Draft after this season. Credit CBSSports.com with the scoop, please.
Seriously, though, this can't be a bad thing for Wiggins.
I'd still argue that his very obvious and long-understood "plan" isn't legitimate news on the Friday before the start of the 2013-14 regular season. But whatever. Because the byproduct is a good thing if it prevents countless reporters from asking Wiggins about the NBA Draft after every single game from now through March. That shouldn't happen now. And though I realize some will suggest that Wiggins having the world realize his plan is to enter the NBA Draft after this season might add some pressure, I'd counter with the reality that there's no way this young man could enter this season with any more pressure than had already been created. So, really, what's the difference?
In fact, I'll take it a step farther.
I'd advise all legitimate top-10 picks who are planning to enter the draft after this season to go ahead and publicly state as much because it just makes the whole process simpler. It eliminates the line of questioning completely and prevents prospects from feeling like they must mislead, though I've never actually understood why some feel the need to mislead because there's nothing wrong with having a desire to become a millionaire as soon as possible. I'm not even sure how anybody could intelligently argue otherwise.
The information on who harassed John Higgins will now be turned over to the FBI
Some of these future NBA picks might work out, but others won't sniff being drafted
This is a good development for Louisville, which may avoid having its coaches forced to testify...
The athletic guard withdrew from the NBA Draft late Wednesday night
Next step in the case, which began in 2011, is for UNC to face the NCAA's Committee on Inf...
We look at 40-plus teams affected by this year's NBA Draft