USA Basketball announces 16 junior finalists for World University Games
On Wednesday, 16 college players made the cut for USA Basketball's roster for the upcoming World University Games. Click to see who made it.
Here are the college stars who made the latest roster cut for USA Basketball. The cut went from 24 down to 16, and one more cut -- to 12 -- will be made in the next week. Team USA leaves July 1 for the World University Games (WUG) in Kazan, Russia.
The competition for the Junior National Team remaining, in alphabetical order:
- Spencer Dinwiddie , Colorado Buffaloes
- Yogi Ferrell , Indiana Hoosiers
- Davante Gardner , Marquette Golden Eagles
- Treveon Graham , VCU Rams
- Jerian Grant , Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Luke Hancock , Louisville Cardinals
- Tyler Haws , Brigham Young Cougars
- Rodney Hood , Duke Blue Devils
- Cory Jefferson , Baylor Bears
- Sean Kilpatrick , Cincinnati Bearcats
- Alex Kirk , New Mexico Lobos
- Doug McDermott , Creighton Bluejays
- Adreian Payne , Michigan State Spartans
- Chasson Randle , Stanford Cardinal
- Will Sheehey , Indiana
- Aaron White , Iowa Hawkeyes
Despite recent legal troubles, USA Basketball notes UNC star P.J. Hairston was playing, yet "suffered an injury to his back during the evening session on June 25 and was not able to continue his participation."
Here's what Syracuse Orange coach (and USA Basketball Junior Team chair) Jim Boeheim said: “The effort of this group was unbelievable, and it was very tough to get down. Usually, it’s pretty easy to get down to 16. It was not easy with this group. It was very difficult. Guys were very, very close in a two-day tryout. Another day, and it might have been a couple of different guys in there, but you have to take the guys that played the best, and those 16 played the best."
This team will be coached by Bob McKillop, of Davidson Wildcats , and will be seeking its first gold medal in the Junior Games since 2005. The team begins WUG play on July 7.
This is a good development for Louisville, which may avoid having its coaches forced to testify...
The athletic guard withdrew from the NBA Draft late Wednesday night
Next step in the case, which began in 2011, is for UNC to face the NCAA's Committee on Inf...
We look at 40-plus teams affected by this year's NBA Draft
Former USF head coach Orlando Antigua is not implicated in any violations
UK was already loaded, but gets a big boost by Hamidou Diallo's withdrawal from the NBA Dr...