Wakeup Call: Thad Matta signs long-term contract extension
Before we begin with the links, a GIF to figure out. Impressionistic and popular, let's see which ax men are getting impersonated here.
What are our guesses here? (GIF via @bubbaprog, FYI.) The one on the left's really tough. I'm gonna say that's a John Lennon impression. Simple 4/4 structure strumming and not much movement around the fretboard. Pop music, for sure. Homeboy on the right is clearly channeling Eddie Van Halen, though. I see what whammy-bar action, man. And I'm OK with this meme running its course for the rest of the season. So much better than the 3 goggles or thumbing a jersey. We need to get next level, though. Who's going to introduce the drumming aspect to this? Or just maybe: KEYTAR?
OK, I'll shut up now. Links ahoy!
Around the World
Scroll down to see the sweet shot of the inauguration -- from space. And then check out this incredible shot from last night that you'll probably see many times today. || I'm honestly, totally serious when I say this: I don't know how Roger Goodell shows his face in one restaurant in New Orleans. || Scientists are debating if a massive gamma ray whiplashed Earth about 1,200 years ago. || Most of Europe is currently doused in powder. || This is nuts -- and really catchy. I've got an old R.E.M. video cued up below, but check out this alteration done to "Losing My Religion." I like it more than the original now.
- Goodman broke the big/potentially bad news regarding Frank Haith yesterday afternoon ...
- ... and our Bruce Feldman followed it up with the football angle of impending allegations formally coming down.
- This is an old story but I heard it for the first time during the Oklahoma State-Baylor game last night. Do you realize who owns the physical copy of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech?
- Was stunned to discover Thad Matta is only 45 years old, which means he's now signed to coach at Ohio State until he's 52.
- Georgetown earned a somewhat-critical (in the Big East chase) win on the road at Notre Dame Monday night. Both of those teams are fairly confusing, though. Irish are spiraling.
- Sheldon McLellan and Romero Osby had career nights on Monday. Oklahoma won and in the process made Texas an 0-5 Big 12 team for the first time under Rick Barnes.
- Matt Hayes warns us against believing any real change is truly coming with the NCAA's modifications to its rulebook.
- Gene Keady, I hardly recognize you.
- If you're curious, Jerry Palm is now fully engaged with the bracket-tweaking process and is ready to anger you with how he seeds -- or omits -- your team.
- Bo Ryan is advocating for more Big Ten league games next season when Rutgers and Maryland join the club.
- N.C. State is feeling good now because "every team needs a beatdown."
- Some statistical information that leans toward indicating that teams like NC State, Illinois, Creighton and Gonzaga don't stand a good chance at reaching the Final Four.
- The NCAA is looking to reinforce its enforcement task, and a couple of its new hires are familiar names from the coaching ranks.
- The Mountain West fifth and the Valley ahead of the Atlantic 10?
- UConn's been irregular in recent weeks because of backcourt play? Huskies are a little beat up, it seems.
Moving Pictures and Music
»» Cute kid calls out the Syracuse starting lineup for papa. Looks like another future broadcast talent on his way to SU in about 15 years.
Going to diverge from embedding a studio track and hand you a great video from the '80s. It's R.E.M.'s TV debut from 1983, on David Letterman's show. So different. Michael Stipe with hair and everything. I'm not a massive R.E.M. fan, but I do feel like this is a band a lot of people dismiss until you sit down, actually listen to three or four of their albums and realize what these guys were doing before so many others.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the thrice-a-week podcast on iTunes. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.
Motley, who averaged 17.3 points and 9.9 boards, is projected as a borderline first-rounde...
Sharpshooter's return figures to send the program to a place it has been only once before
Are you buying?
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander also discuss UNLV's recruiting class
The five-star big man is part of a surprise late-period recruiting coup by Marvin Menzies
It's time for random observers to stop being outraged by players' decisions