Coaching Changes Daily: Washington could look to Bama OC Nussmeier
Washington Huskies need to replace Steve Sarkisian and could look to Alabama OC Doug Nussmeier. Jeff Tedford is in play for Wyoming.
* With Jim Mora staying at UCLA, expect Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier to be involved in the process in some capacity. Broyles Award nominee, previous Washington OC, knows quarterbacks, played a part in A.J. McCarron’s improvement -- this makes sense on a few levels. Washington’s a high-level job, maybe not a top-10 affair, but in that next tier. Think Washington will also call on Fresno's Tim DeRuyter, too.
* Continue to hear industry buzz that the Wyoming job is Jeff Tedford's to lose, but Tedford is in Hawaii this week so it’s uncertain when or if he’ll interview. As @coachingsearch points out, Tedford might want to wait and see what develops, especially if Tim DeRuyter leaves Fresno. Wyoming recently told a prospective candidate that the school is interviewing three candidates. I’m told Colorado School of Mines coach Bob Stitt, who was interested in the job, will not be part of that process. History shows great offensive minds come from unlikely places. Just check Gus Malzahn from the high school ranks and Chip Kelly from New Hampshire. But Stitt -- whose no-huddle spread attack has been studied by Kevin Sumiln, Dana Holgorsen and more -- can’t get FBS looks. Maybe his first play is as an OC somewhere.
* Though things can change in the coming weeks, Illinois coach Tim Beckman is leaning toward no staff changes for continuity’s sake. There’s speculation about defensive coordinator Tim Banks’ job after Illinois was last in the Big Ten in rushing defense and second-to-last in total defense. I get the sense Beckman is counting on vast improvement in what was a young group. Illinois returns much of its defensive two-deep.
* With Chad Morris a potential hire at Wake Forest, as colleague Bruce Feldman reports, this could be a big market for offensive coordinators. Florida, USC and Clemson would be prime OC spots. Houston will be looking for an OC, too. The market has slowed on the head coaching side but is picking up on the coordinator side. If Will Muschamp turns to an uptempo offense to cure the Gators’ woes, he’ll have dozens of options. He could go West (Arizona State’s Mike Norvell, UCLA’s Noel Mazzone) or Texas (Baylor’s Philip Montgomery, Texas A&M’s Jake Spavital). Just don’t hire Tebow.
* One intriguing name that wants to get back into college head coaching: Jim Leavitt. An athletic director would have to get past his USF firing in 2010 after the school investigation concluded he slapped a player. Leavitt’s coaching ability was never in question after averaging 8.5 wins in his last four years at USF.
Florida State could be a College Football Playoff contender if it can straighten out its QB...
Tim Tebow and Marty Smith spent the day with Nick Saban at his lake house
North Dakota State's pursuit of a sixth-straight national title started with an overtime win...
Vic Viloria fell asleep at the wheel of his truck after reportedly drinking on campus
Torrodney Prevot has been suspended indefinitely until the conclusion of a university inve...
The Vols will have a tribute to Pat Summitt for the entire 2016 season