NCAA restores eligibility for Wake Forest RB Josh Harris
Wake Forest's leading rusher, senior Josh Harris, had his eligibility restored by the NCAA on Friday.
Harris was declared ineligible for the 2013 season earlier this month. The school did not specify the reason for his ineligibility, but Harris and the school asked for a waiver so that he could play in 2013.
"I am happy that the appeal was approved," head coach Jim Grobe said. "I am excited to get Josh into camp."
Harris led the Demon Deacons in rushing last season, totaling 608 yards and five touchdowns. Across his three years Winston-Salem, Harris has rushed for 1,760 yards and 15 touchdowns.
Getting Harris back on the field is good news for a Wake Forest offense that plans to utilize the ground game more in 2013. According to Grobe, the team became more pass-happy with four-year starting quarterback Riley Skinner and now he would like to bring some balance back to the offense. Senior quarterback Tanner Price set a school record with 422 pass attempts in 2011 and then followed that up with 410 attempts a season ago.
"We plan on throwing the football a bunch, but we're trying to balance it out with more runs," Grobe said earlier this month.
While Price is considered a strong and capable passer, the offense ranked dead last in the ACC with 4.36 yards per play in 2012. Having Harris in the backfield will help the Demon Deacons goal of balancing the offense and improving those numbers.
Our Latest Stories
Spanier was found guilty on one count of child endangerment
These five coaches need to win games in 2017
The Deadman gave a speech to the Texas football team, which listened on one knee
Trent Thompson was spotted at Georgia's spring practice
The ex-Notre Dame star may have started a change in postseason college football
When asked how you win the Heisman Trophy, Watson said 'I guess lose a couple games'