Still think Johnny Manziel didn't deserve the Heisman? Think again.
His numbers against OU and on the season were ridiculous.
|Johnny Manziel proved he was worthy of the Heisman against Oklahoma (US Presswire)|
Does anyone out there still think that Texas A&M freshman Johnny Manziel didn't deserve the Heisman?
Consider the following:
- In A&M's 41-13 Cotton Bowl victory over Oklahoma, Manziel finished just 13 passing yards short of becoming just the second player in NCAA history to pass for over 300 yards and rush for over 200 in a single game, the other being Washington's Marques Tuiasosopo, who did it against Stanford in 1999.
- His 229 rushing yards was a bowl record for a quarterback.
- His 516 yards of total offense (287 passing, 229 rushing) was the most ever in a bowl by a Heisman winner. It was also the third time this season that he eclipsed the 500-yard total offense mark.
- His 5,116 yards of total offense this season was the most ever by a Heisman winner, breaking Ty Detmer's mark of 5,022 yards set in 1990.
- He finished with 3,706 passing yards, with 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions, plus 1,410 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns.
- His 47 total touchdowns matched what Robert Griffin III did last year in winning the Heisman and it put him squarely in the company of recent "Super Quarterbacks" who have won the award.
- Manziel obliterated the "Heisman curse" that so often derailed the bowl game performances of past Heisman winners. If you look at this list of great Heisman bowl performances, he'd have to be right on top after tonight.
Taking everything into account, Manziel capped one of the best seasons in the history of college football against the Sooners on Friday night. In the process, he showed that he was far-and-away the best player in the country.
That he did it all as a redshirt freshman makes it all the more remarkable.
That he could be doing it for three more seasons makes it all the more intriguing.
Fitzerald is already the program's leader with 77 wins
Darryl Rudolph was just 55 years old
The Michigan coach nearly caused an international incident throwing a football
Using college stats and math to determine which FBS quarterbacks will be the most successf...
The LSU quarterback has been dealing with back issues for some time
Moss, a tight end, announced his decision to transfer from NC State this spring