|Julian Boyd, left, and Jamal Olasewere caught a break and will play again for the Blackbirds. (US Presswire)|
LIU Brooklyn will again be considered the team to beat in the NEC after the school ruled four of its basketball players could return to campus and, subsequently, the team.
On Monday, the school accepted the appeals made by the players last week.
"After careful consideration of the appeals of four members of our men's basketball team who were suspended for their involvement in a Sept. 15 altercation on campus, the university has lifted the suspensions and placed the student-athletes on probation, requiring that they continue to participate in an anger management program and undergo counseling, as well as perform community service," LIU Brooklyn provost Gale Stevens-Haynes said in a statement.
Still to come: game suspensions and "additional sanctions" to the four players.
"The university has lifted the suspensions of the student-athletes and has placed them on probation," Blackbirds athletic director John Suarez said in a statement. "In addition to sanctions implemented by the university, the athletic department has suspended the four players for the first two Northeast Conference games of the 2012-13 season.”
Those games are against Sacred Heart on Jan. 3 and Quinnipiac on Jan. 5. LIU Brooklyn opens its season on Nov. 9 against Morehead State. Both teams made the NCAA tournament last year.