|Jabari Parker just made Duke fans giddy over what's possible for the next 16 months. (AP)|
Welcome to the weekend. Well, almost. Today we've got links to an unbelievable avalanche story, the next step for Myck Kabongo, the backstory on Jabari Parker's Duke decision, and another team with a court makeover.
Around the World
Diagnosing every injury in Home Alone. Rough, but everyone knows Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is when things got really unrealistic. || The visually stunning New York Times story on a Washington avalanche that you absolutely must indulge. || This is a really quick scroll and a super-cool story. || Nos. 2, 13, 19, 28 and 43 are the ones that jerked me. || Um, can we go there, please?
- A look back at the standout stories from our sport in 2012.
- Texas is naturally appealing Myck Kabongo's season-long suspension. Talk is that the NCAA could be done with the case once and for all by the end of today.
- But if he doesn't end up playing, Kabongo's draft stock is bound to keep a lead ball chained to its foot.
- Michigan State has to hedge a bit after losing out on Jabari Parker.
- Jabari Parker allowed Sports Illustrated's Jeff Benedict to shadow him in the lead-up to his announcement. You can see how he had the Duke news before anyone and embargoed the scoop.
- Parker will be going to a school that has now crossed the century mark in a rare kind of record.
- If you're reading this column past 10 a.m., that means it's more than 24 hours old. But damn if you shouldn't still read it. Wish I'd written it.
- John Calipari says his players are going hungry and ... it would appear he's right.
- Ken Pomeroy does not believe in clutch. And here's me saying it: Ken Pomeroy is wrong. I could write a thing on it, but I'd rather get him back on the pod in the coming weeks and debate it then.
- By the by, we've got another one of those in-season tournaments this weekend, and it's a very solid field.
- Canisius is one of the small-school surprises of the season. One big reason why.
- Weird trend that's fledgling: college basketball freak athletes going to play Australian Rules Football.
- Hey, everybody, the WAC added another team yesterday.
- The next bout of advertising you'll soon be seeing Dick Vitale in.
- It's a Friday, and I always like to send along a cozy, feel-good tale as we head into the weekend.
- Ohio State's court gets a makeover.
Moving Pictures and Music
Do you have Donny Hathaway in your life? You better. Some soul, funk, R&B. Another forgotten should-be classic. If you're hosting any kid of get-together and still need to compile or add to a mix, consider this. Sing it, Donny.