|Senior Josh Jones had earlier health scares that have led to him stepping away from hoops. (US Presswire)|
After a quick cup of cocoa for the holidays, the Wakeup Call is back. We like to be all-inclusive here, so feel free to send any kind of link along to me: email@example.com.
Around the World
What a story. || Look, it's early, early Beastie Boys! || For a region getting set to host World Cups and Olympiads, this is one of many concerns. || Get a gift card or two for Christmas? SPEND IT. || So many cool shots, but Nos. 3, 16 and 25 are beyond my brain.
- Better safe than sorry, but still sad: Creighton's Josh Jones has to end his playing career because of a heart condition that has already brought scares to him and those close to him this year. I'll take a million more of these stories before one more player dies on the court because of an undiagnosed or ignored irregularity with his ticker.
- The absolute must-read feature that was published shortly before Christmas but is so good that I'm still passing it along four days later.
- Gary Harris, you are the man. You should pass that along.
- Nice feature here on a Big East player I'm guessing won't break out until 2013-14.
- Arguments put forth for the best team out West. I'm just glad the left coast has an array of truly talented teams this season.
- New safety legislation the NCAA needs to put in as soon as possible.
- An idea so good I've slapped myself six times for not thinking of it first: Who's the nation's best seventh man?
- It's been one hell of an interesting year all around for UConn athletics.
- It's a typical, classic longread, that means a good one, from the Mid-Majority.
- This was a cute read.
- Miss a lot of hoops articles in the past few days? Here's one that's a smorgasbord on the Atlantic 10. Highly recommended.
- Nik Stauskas is already one of my 10 favorite college basketball players.
- Get to know more about Rotnei Clarke.
- Something to set the table for Kentucky's tough game at Louisville this weekend.
Moving Pictures and Music
»» White and Blue Review put together this great video for Josh Jones.
And now, back to originally scheduled programming, i.e. passing along good tunes from strong bands. This one, "Elephant" from Tame Impala (I kinda hate that name) came on late for me. Impala's Lonerism album is getting a lot of love on best-of lists ... because it's really, really good. Had no idea what to expect when I finally got my hands on it earlier this month. Me likey.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed and college hoops newsletter. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.