|UConn fell in a weird but compelling OT game at Marquette Tuesday night. More details in the links below.. (US Presswire)|
More than anything, I'm thankful 2013's here because all the hackneyed Mayan jokes are gone for good. Now, let's bring on the links. As always, you can email or tweet me them as well. I welcome the help! Matt.email@example.com.
Around the World
Now that 2013 is here, know this year will be a big one for anniversaries of all sorts. || A fantastic profile on a pickpocketer who's considered an all-time great at the trade. || Did you catch the huge news in the comic-book world? || We already have early indications for the next iteration of iPhone. || Uh ... oh my God? Check out this chaos of horror at a not-so-frozen lake. Thankfully, everyone survived.
- An Iowa State player was proposed to on the court on New Year's Eve.
- Here's more on the absolutely bizarre ending to UConn and Marquette from Tuesday. Good thing UConn can't even play in the postseason this year.
- I love this photo essay on basketball in Indiana so much. Pass it along to anyone you know who loves backyard/driveway hoop.
- Mark Emmert is rolling out a new stipend plan for players come April.
- We're rolling out our conference resets here on the blog over the next week. But if you want the mathematical prognostication on which teams have which odds on finishing where in their respective leagues, well then do I have the link for you.
- And here's even more evidence that Gonzaga should roll in the WCC over the next eight weeks.
- Sad and concerning: Herb Pope isn't out of Seton Hall for a year before he pulls out a gun at a bar and gets arrested.
- Did you happen to catch Minnesota take out Michigan State at home on New Year's Eve? It was impressive. And the Gophers are a top-10 team again after a more-than 15-year absence.
- An actual pair of bros will battle on the court tonight.
- Jim Boeheim matched Bob Knight's 902-win mark since we last spoke. Looking at which other coaches stand a good chance at reaching that point.
- Speaking of Boeheim, a man coaching his alma mater, and what with Kevin Ollie leading his Huskies thanks to a new contract ... how are men coaching their alma maters doing these days?
- Meet the next feel-good story who will one day don a Duke uniform. (It's not Jabari Parker.)
- One columnists posits, "The Pac-12 is better, but by how much?"
- Want a fun link? Enjoy this puppy.
- Talented, tall Montana athlete is bypassing a college hoops career to pursue football.
Moving Pictures and Music
»» Get a load of this dunk -- from a sophomore in high school. His name is Victor Dukes and he attends Nettleton High School in Jonesboro, Ark. Mike Anderson needs to start courting this kid heavy yesterday. It almost doesn't seem real how high he gets.
You want a band with a sound that's as a garage as it is gargantuan? Earl Greyhound is a treasure of an outfit. Hard rock but good attitude -- and incredible drumming. This one's "Oye Vaya," but seek out the Suspicious Package album. Dynamite release from 2010.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed and college hoops newsletter. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.