|No real reason for this photo; it's just I didn't know this ... thing ... was Pepperdine's mascot until Saturday. (US Presswire)|
One more day for college football to take the national college conversation before the baton is handed off to hoops. Let's hope it's a good one Monday night. Until then, I've got the usual buffet of links to feed you with. Enjoy at your leisure.
Around the World
Our world is getting wider. || When it comes to worldwide photography, submissions from amateurs match up to the pros. || Comforting, really. || Town mourns elk. || Active volcano seen from space sort of looks like zit on earth's surface.
- Well, well, what do we have here? Josh Pastner and our own Jeff Goodman trading friendly barbs. That's rich.
- It's a good thing that college football's drawing to a close because we've got some nice ones in the cue for this week.
- Temple and Kansas played a great one on Sunday, which you might've caught amid the NFL playoff action. C.J. Moore's thoughts on the Hawks are worth a glance.
- It's getting harder to believe Tennessee stands a fair shot at reaching the NCAA tournament.
- I'm thinking more and more that San Diego State needs to heel on the Big West and try to keep its eggs in the Mountain West.
- Just what exactly is Jim Calhoun thinking these days? (And why do I get the feeling it's going to be some time before he really takes a step back into the shadows?)
- If you've ever thought I've been way to rosy when it comes to Nate Wolters, just know I now have a rival.
- Rarely do we see a team look so good in defeat.
- Arizona hasn't looked like a top-five team. Why is that? One explanation could be its issue with the 3.
- Josiah Turner's latest turn is not a good one. Imagine what he'd be doing if he was able to stay in school.
- Jim Boeheim says, in light of Syracuse losing its football coach to the pros, he never ever debated making the leap to the NBA.
- The next big athletic director?
- Tommy Amaker reached a noteworthy threshold over the weekend.
- In a nutshell, this is why Marcus Smart is the best freshman in the Big 12.
Moving Pictures and Music
»» Here's a clip that kinda went viral on Friday afternoon. It's from a women's game, and it involves a buzzer-beater. Then the play-by-play guy does what many play-by-play guys do these days when calling small-time games.
I'll take Alabama to win relatively comfortably tonight. Let's call it 23-13. And let's go with Alabama Shakes in honor of my pick. This band became an "it" group of 2012, so don't let the knee-jerk anti-mainstreamers get you down. This group has dynamic and real flavor. Let this one build until that 3:10 mark comes and just, damn.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the thrice-a-week podcast on iTunes. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.