|Kansas made no issue of its game against Baylor Monday night. Might KU be worthy of No. 1 in coming weeks? (US Presswire)|
Around the World
While you were working Monday, a bunch of other people were recovering from a weekend of chucking snowballs at each other and setting a world record. || I'm really hoping "snow art made with snow shoes" becomes the trendy Web linky thing of this winter. || Bottled water is pretty terrible for the environment, and I'm guessing more and more colleges will get rid of them in the next decade. || Why sharing is a natural instinct. And it's all led up to this, me passing along links to you every weekday morning. Evolution, baby. || I'm not sure if this is real or fake -- I guess it has to be real? -- but it's an amazing quick video. You probably won't see the twist coming.
- Is this year's Grambling team the worst in modern college hoops history? The case can be made, but of course we've got weeks to go.
- Brent Musburger is clearly just calling all his own shots at this point. This was gutsy, hilarious and well-played, provided Holly Rowe was in on the joke. (I'd have to think she was.)
- Things are getting tense in and around Chapel Hill, tense enough that alumni are writing letters and not jokingly suggesting Roy Williams retire.
- Florida will be without a role player for the next two weeks.
- The blossoming big man in the Big 12 that could be a breakout player by season's end.
- Best thing about Louisville's prospects is how the team's really not all the way up to speed -- literally.
- John Gasaway's Tuesday Truths are back. They are a barometer of sorts of the conference races and why things tend to shake out the way they do.
- Another bittersweet-but-uplifting story from Saint Louis' basketball team, this time having to do with a child's cancer and his inspiration for the team.
- SB Nation offers up its look at the sport's power rankings right now. I think we're all too low on Kansas. Well, I'm not. But you could hold up more of the bargain!
- Rush the Court examines what USC is looking at now with Kevin O'Neill out of the picture. Just how good is that job? Really, not one with much pressure or a devoted base.
- And in light of O'Neill's departure, some words from earlier this month on why he didn't deserve an early axe, why scheduling sometimes plays heavily into perceptions -- right or wrong -- when ADs decide to hand out a pink slip.
- Monday we shared the news that the ACC is looking to possibly start up a network. That's fine, but what you really need to be linked to is the hashtag that is the best I've seen so far this year on Twitter.
- BYU is set to retire a couple of jersey numbers in a month. The interesting part to me is the Hall of Fame-esque waiting period required when you're a Cougar.
Moving Pictures and Music
»» I love when users send me videos and links. Here's a good example. First off, it's got Dan Patrick calling a random game between Southern Illinois and Saint Louis at Kiel Auditorium 23 years ago. You obviously don't have to watch the whole thing, but the game's pretty crazy. Just watch the style. It's so different from the hoops of today. If there's one spot you should go to, it's the 34:35 mark. (Also, Saint Louis should bring this court design back.)
Alice in Chains, people. Call me a child of the '90s and I won't say you're wrong. Is it wrong that I still listen to grunge music? No, because I occasionally do it in my car instead of from my bedroom floor with the lights off. Hey, anyway, the bands Sap EP is so overlooked. Great little record, that. This is probably the most well-known from those sessions, called Got Me Wrong." AiC has a new record due out this year.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the thrice-a-week podcast on iTunes. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.