My once-a-week reminder: The Wakeup Call is better served when you, the readers, chip in. I can't catch every good story worth checking out, so tweet any candidates at me (my handle is at the bottom of this post) or email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Around the World
Legitimate headline: Local authorities are genuinely considering an Oklahoma man died of spontaneous combustion. || See what the man given the last roll of Kodachrome ever chose to shoot with it. || "The harrowing story behind the World Press Photo of the year." || "A Seattle News Station Got Three People High And Gave Them A Driving Test, Because Of Journalism." And the outtakes! || Old-timey graphic and colorful gangster map of Chicago is so boss.
- Rumblings indicate we won't have Bob Knight on our televisions -- at least in a color commentary capacity -- beyond this season.
- The top 20 programs in attendance, and which ones are selling suds.
- If you're looking for a clean, clear understanding of the greater implications of the NCAA's admission of the butcher job that it has done so far in the Miami case, I give you this and this before all others.
- But, of course, we've got a few good columns on that quagmire. I offer you up this spot-on take from Dodd. The bolded use of hashtagspeak made me chuckle. Dodd is so hip to the times! #loveyaDennis
- And you had to figure Dana would be ready with a scalpel.
- It has undeniably been a season to forget at Mississippi State. Another suspension, and the Bulldogs are down to a handful of available scholarship players.
- Maryland wins another, this one off the court, and against the ACC.
- What I wouldn't give to see the NCAA have something like this.
- A cursory examination of Michigan State sort of shows how Tom Izzo is doing this with pixie dust and elbow grease this year.
- Enjoyable assortment of thoughts and work by Shane Ryan.
- The Carmelo Anthony jersey retirement ceremony this Saturday at Syracuse should set a new attendance record.
- Joe Lunardi looked like this on Monday night.
- A good column by Brian Phillips that touches on college basketball, the way we watch sports, why coaches draw us in, why we watch sports from different perspectives.
- Littlejohn isn't big or good enough. But how on earth is Clemson able/deserving of a new building?
- Informing, quick and easy read on how offense affects defense with some of the nation's best this year.
- Former Duke player dead at 44. No information detailed on his young death.
- Where do us fellas at CBSSports.com fit into these rankings?
- Quick profile on a player whom I think will be a breakout guy two years from now.
Moving Pictures and Music
»» From Tim Brando's radio show on Monday, enjoy this convo with Mark Turgeon. Maryland's gonna be in this year's tourney, folks.
Jaco yesterday, Jay today. I played Reasonable Doubt over the weekend for the first time in about six years. Really might be one of my five favorite rap/hip-hop albums ever. (I say that as a man who only owns about 25, though.) Anyway, let's not waste any time waking up on a Tuesday.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the thrice-a-week podcast on iTunes. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.