Last week, our own Gary Parrish broke the news that Alabama forward Devonta Pollard was no longer a part of the Alabama basketball program.
Now comes word, via the Associated Press, that Pollard has left the university altogether. The former Crimson Tide player is part of an investigation into a kidnapping that he's alleged to have been involved in.
Alabama coach Anthony Grant said Monday that Pollard has left the school.
"Devonta has endured a very challenging time these past few months due to the legal issues involving him and his family," Grant said via statement. "Our primary concern is and has always been his well-being and doing what is in his best interest. In light of the issues at hand, we felt it best to allow him the time he needed to focus solely on family without having to address his status as a student-athlete. In a recent meeting with Devonta, he informed me that he and his family have decided that he needs to withdraw from the University of Alabama so that he can be closer to his family during this difficult time."
Grant would not comment further due to the ongoing legal process of Pollard's case, in which he has been indicted as the alleged driver of a car involved in the April 30 kidnapping of a 6-year-old girl, an act allegedly regarding property disputes. The kidnapped girl was found on May 1 unharmed. Pollard is one of seven people charged in the case.
If convicted, Pollard could face up to five years in federal prison. He averaged 3.9 points and 3.1 rebounds last year.