After a search that spanned three weeks and featured a committee interviewing six candidates, sources told CBSSports.com early Wednesday the school was prepared to offer its vacant coaching position to Anthony Johnson, barring a late snag in negotiations.
Naturally, there was a late snag in negotiations.
And now Johnson has withdrawn his name from consideration.
"I am ending my pursuit of the position of head men's basketball coach at the College of Charleston," Johnson, a former Charleston player, told The Post and Courier.
Johnson was one of two finalists the committee presented to president Glenn McConnell.
The other was Wofford head coach Mike Young.
Young also reportedly withdrew his name from consideration on Wednesday.
Consequently, Charleston is presumably back to considering candidates it previously passed on, and this has turned into one of the weirdest coaching searches in recent history.
"I've never seen anything like it," one source said.
CBSSports.com reported on Aug. 5 -- the day Charleston fired Doug Wojcik for cause after multiple investigations into allegations of verbal and physical abuse of players and staffers -- that there was internal support to hire Johnson. A day later, CBSSports.com also reported that McConnell was facing internal and external pressure to hire Johnson or a minority in general in hopes of maybe alleviating some of the criticism the school received when it hired McConnell, who has a controversial background as a promoter of Confederate history.
The other candidates who interviewed with Charleston are Clemson assistant Earl Grant, UConn assistant Karl Hobbs, N.C. State assistant Bobby Lutz and Virginia assistant Ritchie McKay. Sources said all four assumed they were out, as of Wednesday morning.