|Oklahoma won another close game Saturday thanks to a late touchdown run from Blake Bell. (US Presswire)|
With only one week remaining in the regular season, only two teams remain in the Big 12 title hunt: Kansas State and Oklahoma. Not surprisingly, they top our weekly power ranking.
Here's CBSSports.com's Rapid Reports Big 12 power ranking:
1. Kansas State (10-1, 7-1 Big 12): The Wildcats were off last Saturday preparing for this week's regular season finale -- a chance to clinch the Big 12 championship and a BCS bowl berth against Texas. Coach Bill Snyder and company will likely draw the Longhorns at their angriest after Texas' lackluster performance in last week's loss to TCU. Last week's power ranking: 1. Next up: vs. Texas, Saturday, 8 p.m. ET (ABC).
2. Oklahoma (9-2, 7-1 Big 12): The Sooners continue to find a way to win close games -- winning each of the last two weeks despite facing fourth down plays that, if they had not converted, would have meant defeat. Saturday's Bedlam win over Oklahoma State was a thriller, and QB Landry Jones has been excellent of late. If K-State falters, the Sooners are primed to claim the Big 12 title. Last week's power ranking: 2. Next up: at TCU, Saturday, 12 p.m. ET (ESPN).
3. Oklahoma State (7-4, 5-3 Big 12): There's no shame in losing that one to the Sooners, though that likely is little consolation for Oklahoma State's players and coaches. Still, this team has proven it is one of the Big 12's best. If not for a missed call in the Texas loss and a fourth-down missed tackle on OU's Blake Bell, the Cowboys would be entering this weekend in position to claim a BCS berth with a Kansas State loss. It's been another strong season in Stillwater. Last week's power ranking: 4. Next up: at Baylor, Saturday, 12 p.m. ET (FX).
4. (tie) Texas (8-3, 5-3 Big 12): Yikes. There's no other way to describe the Longhorns' downright awful performance in their Thanksgiving night loss to TCU. Texas now holds the distinction of having allowed both Big 12 newcomers -- the Horned Frogs and West Virginia -- to come to Austin and win at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Still, this week's game at K-State offers a shot at redemption. Last week's power ranking: 3. Next up: at Kansas State, Saturday, 8 p.m. ET (ABC).
4. (tie) TCU (7-4, 4-4 Big 12): This was supposed to be a rebuilding year of sorts for TCU -- a tough new conference, a star starting quarterback gone by midseason, a young defense. If this is coach Gary Patterson's "rebuilding" effort, look out in the years to come. TCU was clearly the better team in the Thanksgiving night win at Texas. Its defense took away just about everything the Longhorns hoped to do. Last week's power ranking: 6. Next up: vs. Oklahoma, Saturday, 12 p.m. ET (ESPN).
6. Baylor (6-5, 3-5 Big 12): The Bears' season was on life support just a few weeks ago. But they're playing their best football down the stretch, showing the previous week's win over Kansas State was no fluke in handling Texas Tech in overtime on Saturday. Baylor's only loss in the last month is a 42-34 decision at Oklahoma, and there's no shame in that. Last week's power ranking: 8. Next up: vs. Oklahoma State, Saturday, 12 p.m. ET (FX).
7 (tie). Texas Tech (7-5, 4-5 Big 12): Call the Red Raiders "bizarro Baylor" if you will. While the Bears have been playing their best football of late, Texas Tech played its worst down the stretch. Only a 41-34 overtime win against Kansas kept coach Tommy Tuberville's squad from a five-game losing streak to end the regular season. This team will go bowling, but with precious little confidence. Last week's power ranking: 5. Next up: Regular season complete, bowl game TBA.
7 (tie). West Virginia (6-5, 3-5 Big 12): To Mountaineers fans, players and coaches, it had to have felt like an eternity between wins. But after losing five in a row for the first time since 1986, WVU beat Iowa State on Friday -- its first win since Oct. 6 at Texas. Back then, West Virginia was in the nation's top 5. Now, the Mountaineers are simply happy to be bowl eligible in their first Big 12 season. Last week's power ranking: 9. Next up: vs. Kansas, Saturday, 2:30 p.m. ET (Fox Sports Net).
9. Iowa State (6-6, 3-6 Big 12): It feels like the Cyclones deserve better than this. Yet again, they hover around the .500 mark, but this is a team capable of competing with many which are more highly regarded. It took some late heroics from Tavon Austin for WVU to win in Ames on Friday, as ISU showed grit on defense and found an offensive spark from the dual threat of QB Sam Richardson. Last week's power ranking: 7. Next up: Regular season complete, bowl game TBA.
10. Kansas (1-10, 0-8 Big 12): The Jayhawks had last week off, giving them a head start on preparation for their last chance to win against an FBS opponent this season. Still, it won't be easy at West Virginia, as the Mountaineers seem to have found their offensive rhythm of late. Last week's power ranking: 10. Next up: at West Virginia, Saturday, 2:30 p.m. ET (Fox Sports Net).
For more up-to-the-minute news and analysis from Big 12 bloggers C.J. Moore and Patrick Southern, follow @CBSSportsBig12 on Twitter. You can also follow C.J. (@cjmoore4) and Patrick (@patricksouthern).