Already arguably the most bizarre NCAA investigation in the history of NCAA investigations, the inquiry into Miami's improper benefits scandal took another surprising turn on Monday with the news that a Hurricanes player filed a complaint with local police over the conduct of an NCAA investigator.
The Miami Herald reported that Hurricanes defensive end Dyron Dye and his attorney, Darren Heitner, told police on Friday that NCAA investigator Rich Johanningmeier had "coerced" information from him during an August 2011 interview. Per the Coral Gables police report obtained by the Herald, Heitner told officers that Johanningmeier sought "favorable answers for his investigation" from Dye and "threatened Mr. Dye's football eligibility if he did not cooperate during the interview."
Police told the Herald that the department has not yet decided whether to pursue an investigation into Dye's complaint or not.
Dye was interviewed by the NCAA for a third time last week after filing an affadavit recanting his prior testimony in his interview with Johanningmeier. In a copy of the affadavit obtained by CBSSports.com, Dye writes that "I could not recall many of the specific details regarding the issues" discussed in the August 2011 interview and that he felt "intimidated" by Johanningmeier.
"I felt compelled to testify in a manner that would be consistent with the manner in which Mr. Johanningmeier was directing me in order to keep my eligibility," Dye said in the affadavit, adding that "I have learned that Mr. Johanningmeier has employed similar intimidating tactics during interviews with other student-athletes ... "
A redshirt senior next season, Dye was one of eight Miami players suspended in 2011 and ordered to repay alleged benefits before having their eligiblity restored. Per the Associated Press, by changing his testimony to the NCAA in the current investigation, the NCAA could sanction Dye a second time over "bylaw 10.1 [unethical conduct] concerns."
Dye missed most of spring practice and will miss summer workouts with an Achilles tendon issue. He has not been ruled out for the 2013 season and was listed in the spring as the Hurricanes' second-string defensive end after spending 2011 and 2012 at tight end.