One of college football's most notable recent flameouts hopes to make a return to the field as soon as this fall.
2011 BCS Championship Game MVP Michael Dyer told ESPN Monday that he had put the issues that led to his dismissal from both Auburn and Arkansas State behind him and remains hopeful of landing a roster spot for the 2013 season.
"I want a chance to show people my character is better than it was in the past," Dyer said. "I want to clear my name. I understand the reasons I am in this situation. I placed myself here. I take responsibility."
Dyer's uncle told ESPN that Western Kentucky, Troy and FCS Illinois State have all been in contact with the former five-star prospect, who rushed for 2,335 yards during his two seasons at Auburn and broke the school's freshman rushing record held by Bo Jackson.
TCU and Louisville had been in touch while he attended classes at Arkansas Baptist this past year, Dyer said, but both declined to offer him a roster spot. Dyer left Auburn before the 2011 Chick-fil-A Bowl following his suspension for failed marijuana tests, then was dismissed from Arkansas State after being stopped for speeding with both a gun and marijuana inside the car. Dyer has also admitted to owning the gun used in the infamous 2012 armed robbery involving four of Dyer's Auburn teammates.
"I understand their reasoning of not taking me," Dyer said of the Frogs and Cardinals. "It's been very, very hard. But I'm not the same person I was."
Whether he is or not will have to be proven over more than just one year away from the game. But it won't be surprising if that is long enough for one school to take a chance that he is the same tailback he was.