It was not a good day for the SEC. It was a fantastic day for the SEC.
Wait, it was both.
Good for ratings, bad for traditionalists. You may have noticed the league staged another one of those games of the millennium on Saturday. Alabama, ascending to No. 1 in this week's Power Poll and Texas A&M (No. 6) combined for 13 touchdowns. Thirteen! While the likes of Vince Dooley and Gene Stallings may have winced, for the rest of us it was nothing more than the PS3 imitating life.
The national offensive explosion has infected even the staid, traditional SEC. The average game in the conference Saturday averaged 57.5 points. The national average through three weeks is slightly more than 51 points.
Another national scoring record was broken last year. Teams are scoring about four touchdowns per game. There were 25 touchdowns in the three SEC conference games this week. Again, Just about average at 8.3 per game. In five of the SEC's eight games, at least 58 combined points were scored.
The four teams in the top 11 of this week's Power Poll -- Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU and Georgia -- are all among the top 24 in scoring offense. Put that in perspective: The high-scoring Big 12 has four in the top 50 at this point.
The scoreboards aren't going to stop changing anytime soon. This week's Power Poll, and a welcome to UCLA:
|Week 2 Power Poll|
5. Clemson (5): Credibility Alert! Tigers face an ACC road test Thursday at upset-minded NC State.
6. Texas A&M (8): In two career games, Johnny Incredible has torched Bama for 907 yards in total offense and accounted for seven touchdowns. If you're like me, you're hoping for a rematch. If you're not, let's step outside.
14. Oklahoma State (13): 14. Oklahoma State (13): It could be worse. There could be six parts to the SI series. (Fifth in the series hits this week.)
16. South Carolina (15): Please keep it on the field, Spur Dog. Until recently, Coach Superior owned the state and The State. Continued petty nonsense with journalists overshadows Connor Shaw's three TDs vs. Vanderbilt.
17. Northwestern (16): Let's stop kidding ourselves. Pat Fitzgerald would fit perfectly at either USC or Texas.
18. North Dakota State (17): Over/under on 'Fargo' references this week on Gameday?
19. Florida (19): Remember when a Florida-Tennessee contest used to mean something?
23. Baylor (24): Since we're discussing potential Mack Brown replacements, what about Art Briles at Texas?
25. Wisconsin (18): Spike the ball on that play, Joel. Spike the ball, then kick the field goal!