Searching for surprises following a week when the Power Poll barely stirred:
•Hello, Vegas: Some folks lost their homes Saturday. Some were able to buy Cadillacs. More than one gambling degenerate noticed that back door cover for No. 4 Ohio State at the gun.
•No. 12 Oklahoma is playing defense. No. 11 Baylor is wrecking them. Should be a heck of a Big 12 race.
•Maryland is not quite back, but Jameis Winston rules the world. No. 9 Florida State was favored by 15½ over the Terps. The Noles won by 47½ more than that.
•No. 24 Texas Tech ran 100 plays against Kansas but didn/t exactly run well -- 2.7 yards per carry.
•SEC's defenses are giving up way more points than usual but four teams in the top eight of the Power Poll seems about right (No. 1 Alabama, No. 6 Texas A&M, No. 7 Georgia, No. 8 LSU).
•Welcome No. 23 Missouri which means it's about time someone set up an SEC East/Pac-12 North challenge.
2. Oregon (2): Marcus Scariota -- five touchdown passes, two rushing TDs vs. Colorado. That makes it 21 total touchdowns in five games and puts him on pace for 55 for the season.
6. Texas A&M (6): Bye while Kevin Sumlin scrutinizes USC job and starts thinking about Ole Miss next Saturday?
7. Georgia (7): The real takeaway from overtime at Tennessee? Dawgs are running out of players and the Vols are turning the corner.
8. LSU (8): Zach Mettenberger (25 of 29 vs. Mississippi State) may be going from Dawg house to Best Buy Theater.
10. UCLA (10): Solid win on Thursday against Utah. Jim Mora's Bruins play host to Cal next Saturday.
12. Oklahoma (11): Defense continues to thrive in close one against TCU, 20-17. Texas, in the Red River Rivalry, is up next.
13. Louisville (13): I'd love to love the Cardinals more but it's the AAC and it's Temple. The 'Ville is 5-0 for a third straight season.
14. Miami (14): Four turnovers, down by 10? No problem. Hurricanes post solid 15-point win against Georgia Tech.
15. Washington (15): Put up almost 500 yards against Stanford and lost. The slog continues this week against Oregon.
17. South Carolina (17): Kentucky scores 21 in the fourth quarter to make it close. Clowney sits it out to cast doubt upon his want-to.
19. North Dakota State (19): While you were sleeping on the Bison, Northern Iowa played 'em off their hooves. But North Dakota State Bohl's 'em over 24-23.
20. Northwestern (18): Touchdowns instead of field goals, Wildcats. Touchdowns instead of field goals. That's the fatal flaw in losing to Ohio State.
22. Oklahoma State (23): Really, really trying to figure out the Cowboys. Gag it up in Morgantown, come from behind against K-State. Gundy: "Whoever flipped the switch, I wish they'd flip it earlier."
23. Missouri (NR): When James Franklin (the quarterback) is healthy, the Tigers are dangerous. They rip Vandy to move to 5-0. Georgia, Florida, South Carolina next. If you want a dream a little in the SEC East ...
Also receiving love: Cincinnati after losing teammate Ben Flick, Virginia Tech, Indiana, Navy, Notre Dame, East Carolina, Ball State, Bowling Green, Oregon State, Rutgers, Central Florida, Tennessee's Pig Howard.