Di Fino: Test your Fantasy wits
Which pitcher has given up the most steals? Which catcher has been quietly hammering the ball in limited at-bats? Test your wits in Nando Di Fino's latest Fantasy basbeall quiz.
It's time, once again, for the Fantasy quiz. Sharpen your pencils -- and your minds -- and be wowed at the weird anomalies and quirks of the 2012 season. When you're through, check your answers at the bottom, and then rush to the waiver wire to adjust rosters based on day games, bullpen shifts and speedsters who are facing certain pitchers.
(All stats are through games played on Thursday, August 9):
1.Which pitcher has given up the most home runs (10) since the All-Star break?:
b. Jordan Lyles
c. Phil Hughes
d. Travis Wood
2. Which batter has seen the most pitches so far this season?:
b. Michael Bourn
c. Curtis Granderson
d. Ian Kinsler
3. Which relief pitcher has the most points this season -- without having started or saved a game?:
b. Craig Stammen
c. Vinnie Pestano
d. Darren O'Day
4. Which of these catchers has the highest OPS since the All-Star break (min. of 25 at-bats)?:
b. Erik Kratz
c. Carlos Santana
d. A.J. Pierzynski
5. Who leads MLB in sacrifics bunts this season?:
b. Elvis Andrus
c. Lance Lynn
d. Alcides Escobar
Bonus Pop Culture Question #1: How much does Boardwalk cost to buy in Monopoly?
6. Of this group, who has the most Quality Starts this season?:
b. Ian Kennedy
c. Cole Hamels
d. Jason Vargas
7. Which of these second basemen has the most runs scored since the All-Star break?:
b. Ryan Theriot
c. Dustin Pedroia
d. Robinson Cano
8. Which Davis has more Fantasy points this season?:
b. Rajai Davis
9.: Since the All-Star break, only two players have five home runs, double-digit steals, and are batting .300 or above. One of those players is Mike Trout . The other is:
b. Jose Reyes
c. Carlos Gomez
d. Jason Heyward
Bonus Pop Culture Question #2: According to Buddy the Elf, which of the following is not a food group?:
b. Candy canes
c. Candy buttons
d. Candy corn
10. The player who has received the most at-bats since the All-Star break is:
b. Michael Bourn
c. Steve Lombardozzi
d. Derek Jeter
11. Of players with 50 or more at-bats in day games this season, who has the highest batting average (.409)?
b. David Ortiz
c. Juan Pierre
d. David Wright
Bonus Pop Culture Question #3:: According to imdb.com, who didn't supply a voice for a Mogwai or Gremlin in Gremlins?
a. Howie Mandel
b. Michael Winslow
c. Michael J. Fox
d. Peter Cullen
12. Who is owned in more leagues?:
b. Chris Carter
13. Who has more Fantasy points?:
b. Chris Carter
14. Which is greater: the combined ownership percentages of Michael Pineda and Victor Martinez -- who each have yet to play a game this year -- or the ownership of Cubs closer Carlos Marmol -- who has five saves, a 2.08 ERA, and 11 strikeouts in his last 8 2/3 innings pitched?:
a. Pineda and Martinez
15. The following four pitchers have allowed the most steals this season. Who ranks first?:
b. A.J. Burnett
c. Ubaldo Jimenez
d. Madison Bumgarner
How'd you do? Check your answers below. Anything over five correct should be considered a rousing success:
2. C (Granderson has seen 2,148 pitches)
3. A (Ross has 153 points. Stammen was second with 149.)
4. B (Kratz has two home runs and five doubles, with an OPS of 1.254)
5. A (Cueto has 13 sacrifices this season)
6. D (Vargas has 16)
7. B (Theriot has 18 runs scored)
8. A (...but it's close: 226.50 to 226)
10. C (Lombardozzi has 123 at-bats)
12. A (Medlen has 144.5, Carter has 105.5)
13. A (Medlen is owned in 30 percent; Carter is owned in 29 percent)
14. A (Pineda/Martinez are owned in 26 percent of leagues, each; Marmol is owned in 50 percent of leagues)
15. C (Jimenez has allowed 26 steals)
BONUS 1: B
BONUS 2: C
BONUS 3: C
Stay in touch with the most passionate Fantasy staff in the business by following us on Twitter @CBSFantasyBB or Nando Di Fino at @NandoCBS . You can also send our staff an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Our Latest Stories
Heading into the biggest draft weekend of the year, spring developments are beginning to have...
As you gear up for a big drafting weekend, we discuss how Scott White and Heath Cummings constructed...
Need holds? Maybe some ERA and WHIP help? Or how about a nice sleeper for saves? Scott White...
Leaning on the handicapping wisdom of Vegas odds, Chris Towers takes a look at five players...
A rookie may be on the verge of claiming the Nationals closer role. Meanwhile, Hyun-Jin Ryu...
Heath Cummings couldn't find any breakouts he wanted to remove from his first version but he...