When the injuries begin piling up
Lose half your roster to injuries over the last couple weeks? Scott White helps you prioritize which players to stash and which ones to drop.
I mentioned on Monday's Fantasy Baseball Today that I had to drop James Paxton in a couple leagues despite my sincerest efforts not to. I just have so many players on the DL right now that I'd have to go short-handed if I didn't drop one.
I'm guessing I'm not the only one feeling the DL crunch, what with
going down just this weekend, so I thought I'd help everyone prioritize by putting together a list of the top players worth stashing in a DL slot.
- Clayton Kershaw , SP, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Chris Sale , SP, Chicago White Sox
- Ryan Braun, OF, Milwaukee Brewers
- Chris Davis , 1B, Baltimore Orioles
- Matt Cain, SP, San Francisco Giants
- Jason Kipnis, 2B, Cleveland Indians
- Ryan Zimmerman , 3B, Washington Nationals
- Aroldis Chapman , RP, Cincinnati Reds
- Anibal Sanchez , SP, Detroit Tigers
- Wilin Rosario, C, Colorado Rockies
- Bryce Harper , OF, Nationals
- Mark Trumbo , 1B/OF, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tony Cingrani , SP, Reds
- Alex Cobb , SP, Tampa Bay Rays
- Mat Latos , SP, Reds
- Adam Eaton, OF, White Sox
- Hyun-Jin Ryu, SP, Dodgers
- Josh Hamilton , OF, Los Angeles Angels
- Michael Cuddyer , 1B/OF, Rockies
- Devin Mesoraco , C, Reds
- Jason Grilli , RP, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Doug Fister , SP, Nationals
- Taijuan Walker , SP, Seattle Mariners
- James Paxton, SP, Mariners
- Wilson Ramos , C, Nationals
- Casey Janssen , RP, Toronto Blue Jays
- Kole Calhoun , OF, Angels
- Jurickson Profar , 2B, Texas Rangers
- Derek Holland , SP, Rangers
- Chase Headley , 3B, San Diego Padres
You see? When it gets right down to it, Paxton is awfully low on the list, which is no knock on him. The list just happens to be especially deep in high-end talent right now.
Your specific circumstances might compel you to amend the list slightly. Generally speaking, I prioritized long-term value over projected return, but obviously, Harper wouldn't be behind Zimmerman, Chapman, Sanchez and Rosario if he wasn't expected to miss two months. I might prioritize Cingrani, Cobb and Latos over Trumbo in a Head-to-Head points league, where he isn't as valuable as in Rotisserie, and of course, the value of catchers and closers can vary greatly based on format.
But hopefully, this gives you a starting point as you sort out which players are worth stashing and which aren't.
Note: Bruce and Michael Pineda weren't technically on the DL at the time of this post. If they were, Bruce would rank seventh, between Kipnis and Zimmerman, and Pineda would rank 23rd, between Fister and Walker.
Is it finally time to start Avisail Garcia? Can we trust Ryon Healy? Scott White gives his...
What does Madison Bumgarner's injury mean in Fantasy and what potential replacement options...
There's no shortage of two-start possibilities off the waiver wire this week. Scott White shares...
The schedule. The matchups. Strikeout trends. Velocity tidbits. Chris Towers runs you through...
Depending on how you look at him, you can be optimistic or pessimistic about Danny Duffy's...
Nearly three weeks in, it might be time to cut some players loose. Should you be dropping guys...