Coming off a breakout 2015 campaign, much was expected from Lorenzo Cain. However, even prior to suffering a mid-August wrist injury which slowed down the outfielder before truncating his campaign in September, Cain was a fantasy disappointment. Will 2015 go down as his career year? Before the wrist woes, Cain lost time with a hamstring injury which isn't encouraging for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who's never played more than 140 games in a season. On the other hand, his plate skills were reasonably close to 2015 and should be stable; it was his homers and steals that were lacking. Cain is back to where he was before 2015 -- a highly skilled player with significant power and speed upside. The good news is prospective owners no longer need to pay extra for this. The bad news is he's a year older and it's hard to expect anything more than 130-140 games. Don't be afraid to invest but don't expect 2015 levels either.
Cain said Friday that his hand is fully healed and that he has already resumed hitting, Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com reports. The All-Star outfielder suffered a wrist injury in September that ultimately cut his season short. He did not require surgery to repair his wrist and was able to resume swinging a bat within the past month. With that, it appears that Cain's offseason baseball activities have gone without incident, which suggests he'll be ready for the start of spring training.
Royals manager Ned Yost said that Cain (wrist) will be "100 percent ready to go" when the season starts and that he's on schedule with his rehab this offseason, Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com reports. The expectation is that Cain won't be able to swing a bat for another couple of weeks, but his rehab progress to this point is a very encouraging sign as the Royals look to get him ready for Opening Day. In addition to missing time last season, Cain's slash line took a hit across the board in 2016 as he failed to hit .300 for the first time since 2013 while seeing his slugging percentage fall from .477 to .408.
Cain (wrist) said he does not expect his offseason regimen to be impacted by the wrist injury that ended his season in September, the Kansas City Star reports. Cain was able to avoid surgery, but he was prescribed three months of rest before resuming any baseball activities. With that timeline beginning in mid-September, Cain is already a month in, but he won't be able to swing a bat until at least sometime in December. The outfielder said he's confident his usual routine won't be impacted, and he plans to focus on increasing the strength in his legs. "I should be pretty functional with it (this offseason)," Cain said of the wrist. "It's just holding off on not swinging a bat for three months. That's the biggest thing. I feel like I've gotten all my strength back with the month off right now. Another month of it off (and) I don't see any limitations in my offseason. My hand will be fine. I'll be ready to go for sure."
Cain (wrist) has officially been shut down for the season, MLB.com's Jeffrey Flanagan reports. The writing had been on the wall for a while, given how the Royals had handled Cain since the injury, and now it is official that he won't return until next year. Look for Jarrod Dyson and Paulo Orlando to continue seeing regular at-bats in the final week of the season.
Cain's wrist hasn't been healing as quickly as the Royals had hoped, Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com reports. Although the club hasn't ruled out the possibility of Cain returning this season, the chances of him being back in action anytime soon are very slim. During his absence, look for Paulo Orlando to continue making regular appearances in the Royals' outfield.