The Giants re-signed infielder Marco Scutaro to a major-league contract Wednesday. However, he is still not expected to play baseball any time soon, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. The Giants made the goodwill gesture to sign Scutaro through the 2015 season, "matching his previously signed contract," according to the team. The Giants didn't want Scutaro's career to end with him being released in January to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Nori Aoki. "Marco's performance in the second half of 2012, the NLCS and World Series will forever connect him to the Giants," general manager Bobby Evans said. "It was important to us and to him that he retire as a Giant." Scutaro underwent back surgery in December and continues to rehab in Florida "in hopes of maintaining a quality of life and be pain-free with his family," the Giants said. Scutaro was placed on the 60-day disabled list.
Former Giants infielder Marco Scutaro won't know if he can continue his playing career until March, according to the Boston Globe. Scutaro received just 11 at-bats in 2014 due to a nasty back injury. He's doing everything he can to get back on the field, but it's unclear if his body will allow him to play. The 39-year-old was recently released by San Francisco. He hit .297/.357/.369 over 488 at-bats back in 2013.
The Giants have released second baseman Marco Scutaro, according to MLB.com. Scutaro was designated for assignment by the club Jan. 21. Scutaro underwent back surgery in December, and was expected to miss 4-6 months due to the surgery. The 39-year-old was limited to five games last season due to back issues. He hit .297/.357/.369 over 488 at-bats back in 2013.
Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro was designated for assignment Wednesday, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. The 39-year-old Scutaro, who was limited to five games in 2014 due to a back injury, underwent fusion surgery in late December and was expected to be sidelined 4-6 months. The Giants weren't sure if Scutaro was able to play again following the surgery. "This is the type of thing, it's 4-6 months before we can know if baseball is possible," general manager Brian Sabean said in December. "I don't want to speak for the doctor or the procedure but you'd have to how he responds to the surgery and that's months away." Scutaro continues to rehab at his home in Miami. The Giants are checking on him on a regular basis. Based on his progress, the team will decide whether or not to invite him to spring training. Scutaro, who made the NL All-Star team in 2013, has appeared in 1,391 MLB games over 13 seasons. He has a career .277/.341./.388/.729 slash line.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean has announced that second baseman Marco Scutaro, who lost almost all of last season to back issues, had fusion surgery Sunday that won't reveal if he can return to action for at least 4-6 months. "This is the type of thing, it's four-to-six months before we can know if baseball is possible," Sabean said. "I don't want to speak for the doctor or the procedure but you'd have to how he responds to the surgery and that's months away." Scutaro came back in mid-July, but was sidelined again after just 11 at-bats and done for the year.