Brian Johnson's story took a couple of turns in 2016. The left-hander had rocketed through the system, even making a start for Boston in 2015, before an elbow injury ended that season. Seemingly cast as a potential depth starter for 2016, Johnson suffered a toe injury during training camp and was on a pitch count early on for Triple-A Pawtucket. Noted for his pinpoint control, Johnson was wild to start the season, giving up 22 walks in 33 innings before getting placed on the temporary inactive list in May while he sought treatment for anxiety, a condition that had been building since 2015. The organization and his teammates were supportive as Johnson worked through the anxiety issues, and he eventually returned to Pawtucket in late July. He was better following his return, but it was still a lost year for him. He'll return to start for Pawtucket, but the team is placing no expectations on him. After this offseason's upgrades to the rotation, Johnson now looks like simply a depth piece.
Johnson was sent back to Triple-A Pawtucket on Wednesday, Tim Britton of the Providence Journal reports. Johnson managed to pick up a W in his spot start Tuesday, but with Eduardo Rodriguez returning to the team Wednesday, Johnson will head back to the minors. The 26-year-old lefty's solid season debut could put him in a good place to pick up more spot starts down the line, although he'll continue developing against advanced hitters until the opportunity arises.
Johnson (1-0) gave up four runs on seven hits and three walks while striking out six in Tuesday's victory over Toronto. Well, the strikeouts were nice, but he gave up a pair of homers and needed 97 pitches to record 15 outs, so this wasn't the most impressive of spot starts. Johnson will almost certainly head back to Triple-A soon, as he only came up to make this start because Eduardo Rodriguez is on paternity leave.
Johnson has been called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to start for Boston on Tuesday against the Blue Jays, Bill Ballou of the Providence Journal reports. Johnson is the fill-in starter for Eduardo Rodriguez, who is away from the team on paternity leave. For the PawSox this season, Johnson has shown improvement in strike throwing relative to his spring outings. This is expected to be a one-start call-up for Johnson, but it's an important start in terms of how the organization views its starting depth. Johnson, Henry Owens, Kyle Kendrick and Roenis Elias are all in the mix for starts this season, should the need arise.
Johnson (head) allowed one run on four hits and a walk while striking out eight over 6.2 innings with Triple-A Pawtucket on Thursday, MassLive.com reports. A line drive struck Johnson in the head during his first start of the season, but he avoided a concussion and was cleared to return to the mound five days later. Manager John Farrell said earlier this month that Johnson was the No. 3 depth starter behind Kyle Kendrick and Henry Owens, but a case can be made that Johnson has already leaped Kendrick (nine earned runs allowed in his first start) at least. Johnson will almost certainly get a major-league opportunity at some point this season, assuming he stays healthy.
Johnson (head) said he's hopeful to make his next scheduled start for Triple-A Pawtucket, Peter Abraham of The Boston Globe reports. The Red Sox haven't provided any indication that Johnson experienced any concussion-like symptoms stemming from the line drive he took to the head in Saturday's start. as a result, somewhat miraculously, it looks like he won't be forced to miss time as a result of the incident. Much of the lefty's prospect luster has warn off after he turned in a middling 4.09 ERA and 6.3 K/9 rate over 77 innings with Pawtucket in 2016, but he'll remain on the big club's short list for a promotion if a rotation spot opens up at any point this season.
|vs N.Y. YANKEES||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|@ FENWAY PARK||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|