After playing just 38 games in 2015 due to spinal stenosis, David Wright played one fewer last season due to cervical discectomy and fusion surgery to repair a herniated disc in his neck. Before having his season prematurely truncated, Wright smacked seven homers with three surprising steals, though a 60 percent contact rate was a big drag on his average. Putting aside the health concerns, the pre-surgery production is encouraging since a great deal of his strikeout woes can be attributed to timing after missing most the previous season. Durability is obviously a huge concern, on the heels of two major, career-threatening procedures. If he proves capable, Wright will open the 2017 season manning third base for the Mets. Drafting Wright makes sense only if you have a built-in exit strategy such as ticketing him for corner or utility duty with a quality replacement at the ready. Or better yet, let him be someone else's wishful thinking.
Wright played catch Tuesday, just the second time he's thrown a baseball since neck surgery last June, The New York Daily News reports. The Mets are keeping Wright's throwing sessions out of the public eye for now, and manager Terry Collins' comments afterwards suggested that Wright's efforts are less than impressive at the moment. "We want to make sure when he starts out there throwing in front of everybody that he's ready to let loose," Collins said. Wright will DH during Grapefruit League games to begin the spring as well as get at-bats during minor league games, and Collins suggested it could be a few weeks before the Mets consider using Wright in the field.
Wright (neck) participated in a throwing session on Sunday for the first time since his June neck surgery, Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports. The throwing session marks another significant milestone in Wright's recovery from his June 2016 neck surgery. The veteran third baseman began taking batting practice last week, as well. Though his rehab is progressing, his overall health entering the 2017 season still remains in question.
Wright received a PRP injection Saturday and will rest a few days before he begins throwing, Matt Ehalt of The Record reports. Manager Terry Collins explained how the PRP injection was always a planned part of Wright's rehab, expected to happen right before he began his throwing program. He is still recovering from neck surgery last June, and hopes this will help him overcome the last hurdle in his return to playing. Even if he begins throwing this shortly, it will be a slow and unsure return for the veteran.
Manager Terry Collins left open the possibility Tuesday that Wright could take ground balls at first base during spring training, Matt Ehalt of The Record reports. Although Wright is still recovering from neck surgery that he underwent last June, the 34-year-old expects to be ready to be New York's Opening Day third baseman. Despite being a two-time Gold Glove winner, the Mets' captain has posted a negative-8 defensive runs saved in each of his past two seasons, leaving the door open for an eventual position change. However, the third base position appears to remain his to lose at this point.
Wright (neck) took batting practice Monday and is expected to begin throwing sometime this week, Kristie Ackert of New York Daily News reports. It's more positive news on the recovery front for Wright, who has been slowly working his way back from neck surgery last June. Manager Terry Collins says the club will continue to exercise caution with the 34-year-old as spring training begins. Meanwhile, Jose Reyes and Wilmer Flores, both of whom filled in admirably at third last season, loom as potential replacements.