MLB Player News
Tyler Wade received an invitation to spring training.
Wade is one of the top prospects in the Yankee system, but he's only reached the Double-A level so far, so the invite shows just how highly the New York Yankees think of him. That being said, he'll likely head back to the minors after spring training is over to develop more.
Jorge Mateo has received an invitation to spring training, Bryan Hoch of MLB reports.
Mateo is one of the top prospects in the Yankee system, and the fact that the New York Yankees are already having the 20-year-old in the major league camp after only playing as high as High-A last season says how much they like him. Despite the invite, Mateo will likely head back to the minors for more seasoning after spring training concludes.
Jonathan Diaz received an invitation to spring training Friday, Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal reports.
The light-hitting shortstop spent most of 2015 with the Triple-A affiliate of the Blue Jays, but did see some time with the major league club as well. That being said, he'll likely head back to the minors after spring training is over.
Wilmer Flores (ankle) is working out at full strength and said he'll be 100 percent for spring training, Newsday's Marc Carig reports.
Flores removed his walking boot just over a week ago, which is a good sign that he's progressing fairly quickly. He'll likely serve in a super utility role to open 2016 with Asdrubal Cabrera taking over at shortstop.
Brendan Ryan agreed to a minor league deal with the Washington Nationals on Tuesday, Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post reports.
Ryan had been traded to the Cubs earlier in the offseason, but the veteran was released shortly after. He'll get an invitation to spring training as part of the deal, but the 33-year-old figures to serve primarily as organizational depth up the middle of the infield.
Because the Cincinnati Reds were unable to trade Brandon Phillips this offseason, Jose Peraza doesn't have an obvious starting job to begin the season, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
As long as Phillips is with the Reds, he's going to be the starter at second base. The Reds can be creative at shortstop and third base, but they also want to have places for Zack Cozart and Eugenio Suarez to play.
Orlando Arcia will begin the 2016 season in the minors, according to Milwaukee Brewers general manager David Stearns, MLB.com reports.
Speculation obviously grew when Milwaukee traded Jean Segura to Arizona on Saturday, clearing a path to the majors for Arcia, but Stearns reset expectations."We're going to send [Arcia] to Triple-A and allow him to continue his development," Stearns said. "Ultimately, as he continues to grow and mature as a player, his production and his continued development will dictate his timeline to the Major Leagues, rather than a move like this." At this time, it looks like Jonathan Villar will start at shortstop when the 2016 begins.
Jonathan Villar is the leading candidate to start at shortstop for Milwaukee after the Milwaukee Brewers traded Jean Segura to the Diamondbacks on Saturday, suggested Milwaukee general manager David Stearns, MLB.com reports.
Shedding Segura clears a path to Miller Park for top prospect Orlando Arcia, Stearns said he'll begin the season in the minors. Stearns added that Yadiel Rivera is an option at shortstop along with Villar, who brings some position versatility, having played three infield spots and two in the outfield last season with the Astros. He has 198 career games in MLB, slashing .236/.339/.414 with little pop and some speed (42 steals).
Jean Segura was traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks on Saturday in a five-player deal, ESPN's Keith Law reports.
The move makes sense for Arizona, as they have already made it clear that they are going all in on winning in the short term, and Nick Ahmed was slotted to be their starting shortstop, despite having a career .269 OBP. Segura won't be winning the silver slugger award anytime soon, but he is capable offensively, and is a quality defender at shortstop. This boosts Segura's fantasy value slightly, as he will be hitting in a better lineup. Look for him to steal 20-plus bases for the fourth year in a row, and hit toward the bottom of Arizona's lineup.
Kris Negron will join the Chicago Cubs at spring training as a non-roster invitee.
After a promising stint with the Reds in 2014 in which Negron batted .271/.331/.479 wth six home runs and 17 RBI, the 29-year-old fell flat in 2015 and eventually was sent down to Triple-A Louisville. His season ended early due to a shoulder injury, but he should be ready for the start of spring training. Negron's versatility to play both infield and outfield makes him a bit more intriguing for teams looking for depth off the bench, but it still seems a long shot that he will crack the big league roster out of spring training.