Best corners to face in Fantasy matchups
Several cornerbacks who got burned repeatedly did not lose their jobs. They offer prime Fantasy matchups again in 2014.
Nineteen cornerbacks allowed at least 800 passing yards or seven touchdowns in their coverage areas last season. You want your Fantasy receivers going up against these guys.
Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor tops the list. He was the only corner to allow more than 1,000 yards (1,043). He gave up six touchdowns without making an interception and just turned 34. Somehow, the Pittsburgh Steelers did not address corner until the fifth round when they drafted Shaquille Richardson.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says Richardson won't supplant the top three corners. Taylor is locked in as the starting right corner, making him the No. 1 CB to target in Fantasy matchups.
Like Taylor, many of the most burnable corners did not lose their jobs.
Here are the 11 corners who gave up at least 800 yards, along with their current teams and projected status:
1. Ike Taylor, Steelers, 1,043 yards, 6 TDs: Starter
2. Jerraud Powers , Arizona Cardinals , 972 yards, 3 TDs: Backup due to Antonio Cromartie signing.
3. Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals, 937 yards, 7 TDs: Starter
4. Brandon Carr , Dallas Cowboys , 936 yards, 3 TDs: Starter
5. Lardarius Webb , Baltimore Ravens , 888 yards, 3 TDs: Starter
6. Shareece Wright , San Diego Chargers , 876 yards, 4 TDs: Starter
7. Brandon Flowers , Kansas City Chiefs , 846 yards, 4 TDs: Starter but reportedly on trading block
8. Chris Houston , Detroit Lions , 834 yards, 5 TDs: Starter
9. Marcus Cooper , Chiefs, 822 yards, 5 TDs: Backup
10. Cary Williams , Philadelphia Eagles , 805 yards, 4 TDs: Starter
11. Josh Wilson , Atlanta Falcons , 805 yards, 5 TDs: Backup
Here are the nine corners who gave up at least seven touchdowns, along with their current teams and projected status:
1. Chris Cook , 49ers, 9 TDs: Backup
2. Buster Skrine , Browns, 9 TDs: No. 3 corner
3. Vontae Davis , Colts, 8 TDs: Starter
4. Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals, 7 TDs: Starter
5. Charles Tillman , Bears: 7 TDs: The 33-year-old is still projected to start, with first-round rookie Kyle Fuller manning the slot.
6. Corey Graham , Ravens, 7 TDs: Backup who might end up at safety
7. Janoris Jenkins , Rams, 7 TDs: Starter
8. Dee Milliner , Jets, 7 TDs: Starter
9. Patrick Peterson , Cardinals, 7 TDs: Starter
Pro Football Focus has a breakdown of the bottom 20 corners, and how often they shadowed a team's No. 1 receiver. The website offered these nuggets:
Tillman gave up seven touchdowns despite playing only 438 snaps over eight games.
Jenkins looks for big plays and is susceptible to double moves.
Cromartie had a strong 2012 season before last year's debacle. He should have an easier time in Arizona because he won't have to cover No. 1 receivers -- that's Peterson's role.
Wright improved down the stretch. After allowing three touchdowns while shadowing Demaryius Thomas in Week 10, Wright allowed none against the Broncos in Week 15. Thomas caught seven balls for 108 yards in the first meeting, four for 45 in the rematch.
Our Latest Stories
The AFC and NFC championship games are highlighted by the quarterbacks, but Jamey Eisenberg...
The Pro Football Writers of America listed their 2016 All-Rookie Team, and Jamey Eisenberg...
Jamey Eisenberg says the divisional round of the NFL playoffs showed Fantasy owners that guys...
We'e in the divisional round of the playoffs, and two players should dominate in Le'Veon Bell...
It was a year of great running backs in 2016 with David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell and Ezekiel Elliott,...
The rise of Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston is among the intriguing issues as Heath Cummings...