NFL Player News

  • Dewey McDonald LB | SEA

    Seahawks' Dewey McDonald: Re-signs with Seahawks

    McDonald, an exclusive-rights free agent, signed a contract with the Seahawks on Monday, Lindsey Wisniewski of USA Today reports.

    The Seahawks acquired McDonald from the Raiders for a conditional seventh-round pick last September. Primarily operating in a special teams role, McDonald went on to tally eight tackles and one deflected pass across 14 games. He'll be back in the mix to compete for a depth role at linebacker this summer.

  • Derek Carr QB | OAK

    Raiders' Derek Carr: Expected to be 'full go' for offseason activities

    Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said Carr (fibula) will be "full go" for offseason activities, CSN's Scott Bair reports.

    Carr broke the fibula in his right leg during a Week 16 game against the Colts on Christmas Eve last season and was initially slapped with a six-to-eight week timetable for recovery. However, that was the minimum requirement for healing and, according to Dr. Nick Grosso via the Bay Area News Group, Carr would need an additional four to six weeks before he'd be able to play football again. The Raiders begin offseason workouts on April 17th, which aligns almost perfectly with the back end of that timeline. Thus, by all accounts, it appears Carr's recovery couldn't have gone much better than it has so far and the fourth-year quarterback will be ready to begin preparations for the 2017 campaign with the rest of the team when voluntary practices commence next month.

  • Marcus Mariota QB | TEN

    Titans' Marcus Mariota: Sheds walking boot, eyeing training camp return

    Mariota (fibula) is out of his walking boot and is confident he'll be ready for training camp, Jason Wolf of The Tennessean reports. "I'm in a good spot," the quarterback remarked.

    Mariota has spent the offseason in recovery from a fractured fibula he suffered in the Titans' second-to-last game of the 2016 season. After swapping a motorized scooter for a walking boot in late February, the Titans QB is now free from wearing any appendage designed to help him move about. In fact, the Hawaii native, who is currently back home and has been running on the beach as part of his rehab, told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser that his recovery "is going a little better than planned." Next up for Mariota is awaiting clearance to return to football activities. He's scheduled to report to Nashville next month and will be reevaluated at that time.

  • Andrew Luck QB | IND

    Colts' Andrew Luck: Colts to be patient with franchise quarterback

    The Colts are relying on team doctors to determine how much of a workload Luck (shoulder) will carry this offseason. "We are not going to be rushing him," owner Jim Irsay said. "We are going to make sure, obviously, that the shoulder has to be ready and the doctors are going to give full approval before he starts putting real reps on it and that sort of thing. This is going to be a huge benefit in the long run. We really feel that he's going to be completely healed for the season and he's going to have a great season...If we need an extra arm in camp, as we start doing our work, we will be prepared for that."

    Irsay also stated how Luck, who underwent shoulder surgery in January, continues to heal well and recently received a positive checkup from his doctor regarding his recovery. Regardless, the Colts remain committed to restricting Luck's practice reps for the time being in order to make certain their franchise quarterback's throwing arm is in top shape entering the 2017 campaign, which is likely a wise move considering the health of his shoulder was consistently an issue last season and the reason he appeared on the injury report ahead of every single game. In the event Luck remains under heavy limitations when training camp opens up in July, look for Irsay and Co. to add an "extra arm" to make sure summer practices go smoothly.

  • 49ers' DuJuan Harris: Set to re-sign with Niners

    Harris will re-sign with the 49ers for the 2017 season, his agent, Andy Simms, reports.

    Harris was one of the Niners' restricted free agents entering the offseason, but the team decided against extending him a contract tender, which effectively released him to the open market. However, coming off a season in which he averaged just 3.1 yards per carry, the diminutive running back likely didn't find many suitors rushing to secure his services for the upcoming campaign. Fortunately for Harris, he's now set to return to a San Francisco roster that is less crowded at the running back position than it was last season, considering the incumbent No. 2 runner, Shaun Draughn, recently latched on with the Giants. Thus, Harris is positioned to compete with only Mike Davis and Raheem Mostert for the backup role to starter Carlos Hyde this summer, although a rookie could certainly join the mix via the draft.

  • Trevor Siemian QB | DEN

    Broncos' Trevor Siemian: Backed to compete this spring

    According to Broncos general manager John Elway, the team will "stay the course" at quarterback, where Siemian (shoulder) and Paxton Lynch will compete for snaps this spring, Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post reports.

    Siemian earned Denver's starting quarterback job last season despite the team drafting Lynch in the first round last year. Although Siemian generally performed admirably, Lynch's long-term potential leaves him looking at another competition for snaps this spring. While that's hardly anything new for the Northwestern alumnus, who's on track to recover from a minor January surgery on his left shoulder in time for OTAs, Elway's comments seem to suggest the Broncos may no longer be interested in acquiring Tony Romo. In that scenario, Siemian would only need to beat out Lynch again to start, which is far more likely than him potentially keeping his place over Romo.

  • Paxton Lynch QB | DEN

    Broncos' Paxton Lynch: Receives support from Elway

    According to Broncos general manager John Elway, the team will "stay the course" at quarterback, where Lynch and Trevor Siemian (shoulder) will compete for snaps this spring, Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post reports.

    Lynch's rookie season was spent vying for reps behind Siemian, so his continued competition there is nothing new, but Elway's comments seem to suggest the Broncos may no longer be interested in acquiring Tony Romo. In that scenario, Lynch would have a much better chance of earning Denver's starting job this season, since dethroning Siemian is far more realistic than Lynch potentially playing over Romo. Whether Elway sticks with Siemian and Lynch as his top options this offseason remains to be seen, but his most recent statements appear favorable for the Broncos' current signal-callers.

  • Dolphins' Ja'Wuan James: Option decision on hold

    James' fifth-year contract option won't be decided on by the Dolphins until after the upcoming draft, Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports.

    James joined Miami as the 19th overall pick of the 2014 draft, making his fifth-year option worth about $8.1 million. That hefty evaluation leaves the Dolphins with an important decision ahead of them, particularly after they parted ways with fellow offensive tackle Branden Albert this offseason. With Laremy Tunsil set to fill Albert's left tackle position long-term, the Dolphins now must determine how long their commitment to James at right tackle will last, but it appears a ruling won't be made until after next month's draft.

  • Patriots' Malcolm Butler: Could remain with Patriots

    According to Patriots owner Robert Kraft, the team doesn't intend on trading Butler, Kevin Patra of NFL.com reports.

    Butler visited the Saints a couple weeks ago to gauge their interest in him as a restricted free agent. Although the parties were unable to strike a deal, Butler's future is complicated by the fact that the Patriots placed a first-round tender on him. That enables New England to match any offer extended to Butler, or receive a first-round pick should they opt not to. Because of those stipulations, a trade seemed to be Butler's most likely route of departure, but Kraft's comments Monday suggest the cornerback could stick around. After signing Stephon Gilmore to a $65 million contract this offseason, the Patriots have a ready-made replacement for Butler, but potentially retaining him on a $3.91 million tender would nonetheless represent excellent value for this season's defense.

  • Vikings' Mackensie Alexander: Will get chance to win nickel corner job

    Alexander (undisclosed) will get a chance to win the starting nickel corner job after the departure of Captain Munnerlyn in free agency, head coach Mike Zimmer told a local radio station, according to ESPN 1500 Twin Cities.

    It's possible the Vikings could sign a cornerback late in free agency to play nickel corner, but it looks like Alexander will get a shot at a regular role. Alexander played just 68 snaps last season, so it's a little surprising he'd be a prime candidate for the job. However, Zimmer has confidence in the 2016 second-round draft pick. Alexander was placed on injured reserve after an abdomen injury late last season, but it's not thought to be an issue as spring practices approach.