Only three of the ACC's 12 schools ranked in the top 50 nationally in total sacks in 2011. Here are some stats to give a rough sketch of the kind of pass rush each team returns based on sack production:
- Virginia Tech and Florida State were elite in getting to the quarterback in 2011. The two teams combined for 81 sacks. For the Hokies and Seminoles, 77 of those 81 sacks came from 24 players who are returning this year.
- Only three players on Clemson's 2012 roster registered a sack in 2011, and the Tigers will have to replace close to 80% of their sack production from a year ago.
- Miami had just four current players sack the quarterback in 2011. The Hurricanes have to replace two thirds of their sack production.
- Wake Forest and Boston College each had 11 sacks last season. They have to find a way to get to the quarterback in 2012.
- Maryland, Georgia Tech, and Duke were mediocre in sack production last year, but they all return the majority of their productive pass-rushers from a year ago. Nine current Terrapins had sacks last year. The same is true for Georgia Tech and Duke.
- Both North Carolina and Virginia will need players to step up, as they both return 40% or less of their sack production. Only four Tar Heels on the 2012 roster had sacks in 2011 compared to six for the Cavaliers.
Sacks in 2011
Sacks by returning players