Floyd Mayweather Jr. apologized on Monday night to former rival Oscar De La Hoya, after an offensive photo and caption were posted to Mayweather's Instagram account, making light of De La Hoya's recent admission into a rehab center.
“It's unfortunate that a stupid picture was posted to my Instagram account earlier today that was not posted by me or authorized by me to post,” Mayweather said in an e-mail to reporters through his publicist.
The photo in question mocks De La Hoya's rehab stint and says, “I gave Canelo [Alvarez] the wrong Blueprint I was high."
|'Money' is sorry he posted this. (Instagram)|
De La Hoya, the president of Golden Boy Promotions, said that he had given Alvarez the blueprint to beat Mayweather in their recent fight in Las Vegas. Mayweather won rather decisively, leading to the social media cheap shot.
The post from Mayweather's account was somewhat surprising given that he had been publicly sympathetic to De La Hoya's plight leading up to last weekend's bout.
His apology continued: “As I clearly stated during my fight week and again in the post-fight press conference, I completely support Oscar De La Hoya and his family during this difficult time in his life. Although we have had our differences in the past, I stand by him unconditionally and would never personally disrespect him or anyone who struggles with addiction.
“I apologize to Oscar and his family for this posting. I wish him well and am rooting for him to win this fight, too.”