Luis Suarez's four-month ban for biting an opponent at this summer's World Cup was upheld on Thursday, but the striker will be allowed to train with new club Barcelona, according to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The CAS ruled that FIFA's initial punishment after Suarez bit Giorgio Chiellini on the shoulder was “generally proportionate to the offense committed.”
The Uruguayan star can't play for Barcelona until Oct. 26, and he will still miss his national team's next eight matches. He is, however, allowed to attend matches and play in friendlies.
CAS Secretary General says Luis Suarez can play friendlies for both club and country following today's decision. #fcb— Richard Conway (@richard_conway) August 14, 2014
The CAS found that banning Suarez from training and team activities – as was initially ruled -- was “excessive,” and felt that barring him from training “would still have an impact on his activity after the end of the suspension.”
“However, the four-month suspension will apply to official matches only and no longer to other football related activities (such as training, promotional activities, and administrative matters,” the court said.
It's the third such biting incident of Suarez's career, likely contributing to the lengthy ban. He was also forced to pay more than $100,000 in fines as a result of FIFA's initial punishment.
Suarez, who was named the English Premier League's player of the year last year after scoring 30 goals for Liverpool, will make his Spanish debut alongside forwards Neymar and Lionel Messi.