Egyptian football official: No 3rd party in riots

  •  

DOHA, Qatar (AP) -The president of the Egyptian Professional Footballers' Association says "no third party" was behind the rioting by fans at a match last month that killed 74 people and injured hundreds of others in the Mediterranean city of Port Said.

Seaking at a sports and security conference in Doha, Magdy Abdel Ghani says he is familiar with the investigation into the riots that has led to 75 people being charged on Thursday.

Ghany blames lax security, social networking and a long-standing hatred between Al-Masry and Al-Ahly for the Feb. 1 tragedy.

The league was suspended this month for the rest of the season. Ghany, a former international, says a friendly tournament held in an empty stadium will take place soon.

Copyright 2014 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.
  •  
 
 

Biggest Stories

 

Latest

Most Popular