Baseball moves closer to new September roster limits

By Danny Knobler | Baseball Insider

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- Baseball definitely intends to fix the September roster problem, as Scott Miller reported earlier this year.

The details, however, have yet to be worked out.

MLB executive vice president Joe Torre spent Wednesday morning discussing the issue with major-league general managers, and said later Wednesday that he believes something will be done, possibly as soon as next year.

"I know the sooner the better," Torre said. "I don't think anyone's objecting."

The problem has been there for years. Baseball plays five months with a roster limit of 25, and then plays through the pennant races with rosters that can vary from 25 all the way up to 40. It makes no sense, and no one really defends it, but until now no one has been able to change it.

Torre said the GMs discussed many options, including rosters of 28 or 30 in September. They discussed the possibility of expanding rosters but only designating a certain fixed number of players as being eligible for any one game or series.

CBSSports Facebook Google Plus
COMMENTS
Conversation powered by Livefyre

Latest Video

Latest

Most Popular

CBSSports.com Shop