Day two at the Players Championship was just as strong as the first one as Martin Kaymer held on, Jordan Spieth charged, and yep, we have an awesome weekend ahead.
Here's a look at everything you need to know about round two of the tournament.
1. Martin Kaymer backs up 63 with 69: The big German is sticking with his first-round lead heading to the weekend. He shot an early 69 on Friday to get to 12 under quickly. Nobody caught him. Nobody may catch him all week.
Holding on isn't as easy as it seems here, though.
The 2nd-rd. leader/co-leader has won @thePLAYERSchamp 10 times since the tournament began in 1974, most recently Matt Kuchar in 2012.— PGA TOUR Media (@PGATOURmedia) May 9, 2014
2. Spieth happens: Jordan Spieth is an absolute boss. He has as many bogeys through two rounds as you and I do and he had the round of the day on Friday with a six-birdie 66. If he can close out a Players at 20 years old, that's teetering on superstar status.
Here's a look at one of his birds:
3. What is wrong with Rory McIlroy? A 42-32 from McIlroy with a birdie at the last to sneak inside the cut line. The fight is fine but it's not the greatness we expect from him.
Here was his putt to make the cut:
4. What is wrong with Phil Mickelson? Lefty missed the cut after a 75-70 in the first two rounds. A "hmm" season is on the verge of turning into panic mode for Mickelson fans. He now has as many missed cuts (three) as he does top 15s (three).
That's not good.
5. What is wrong with Adam Scott? Well nothing was on Friday. Scotty backed up a 77 with a strong 67 and joins McIlroy on the weekend. He still has a decent chance to climb to No. 1 in the world with a little backdoor top 16 finish.
6. Henley hangs: Bumpy ride from Russel Henley on Friday with five bogeys and six birdies but he hung on and will play the final group on Saturday.
After fighting through it today, Russell Henley told me his attitude made the big difference today..enters Saturday right in the mix at -8— Amanda Balionis (@Amanda_Balionis) May 9, 2014
7. Matt Jones had the shot of the day: Jones knocked in this little pitch at No. 14 and sits at 5 under after two days:
8. JR Smith is at The Players: It has literally nothing to do with the tournament but this interview with JR Smith (who's good buds with Lee Westwood!) is just spectacular.
9. Two great stats: Courtesy of our friend Justin Ray at ESPN.
Low 36 hole scores at TPC, all-time: Norman -14, Kaymer -12, Price -12, Westwood -12. All were world no. 1 during careers at some point.— Justin Ray (@JRayESPNGolf) May 9, 2014
From @EliasSports - Jordan Spieth has started TPC debut with 28 bogey-free holes. 1st to do that since Tommy Tolles in 1996 (31 straight).— Justin Ray (@JRayESPNGolf) May 9, 2014
Spieth has a chance to break that 31-hole mark on Saturday afternoon and I thought for a bit that Kaymer was going to challenge the 14 under mark.
10. Luke Donald channels Johnny Manziel: I wrote a post about it but it bears repeating. Multiple times, in fact.