After 54 holes at The Barclays there are 29 guys within five strokes of the lead. Bo Van Pelt has led and so have Adam Scott and
Sunday in New Jersey should be great. Here are five things to watch for in the final round.
1. Bunched leaderboard: I can't remember a leaderboard that was this bunched up with this many big names on which folks could go any direction.
Even at the PGA Championship, despite being crowded at the top, you never felt like more than probably five or six guys had a real chance on Sunday. This week is way different which means we should be in for a thrilling afternoon of golf.
2. What will Rory do? Rory McIlroy is just five back of the leaders with 20 golfers separating them. Is it improbably that he shoots 64 to get to 11 under and wins his fourth straight tournament on the PGA Tour? Maybe.
But is it within the realm of what he's capable of? Oh you better believe it is. That's why early Sunday could be spectacular.
3. Will Phil go beer tent for three straight days? Phil Mickelson hit one off the Astroturf in the pavilion on No. 5 on Friday. Then he did it again on Saturday. What will Sunday bring? Only Bones might know for sure.
4. Can Jason Day get his first big-time stroke-play win? The Match Play Championship was a tremendous win but I'd love to see Jason Day close out a stroke play event of this magnitude, too. He doesn't have to, of course, to announce his arrival (he's more than arrived) but it would be good for golf if the one week McIlroy didn't win another young guy (Day) did.
5. Big day for yours truly: I'm oh-fer in 2014. After picking two winners in my inaugural season of 2013 I haven't picked a single one correctly in 2014. I picked Jim Furyk for this weekend and he's tied going to the final 18 holes. I'm nervous.