10 most memorable golf shots of 2013
Adam Scott, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and Jordan Spieth all contributed to the most memorable golf shots of 2013.
This isn't necessarily the 10 best because if it was then I'd just round up 10 random holes-in-one and we'd all be bored out of our minds.
These are the 10 that in 10 years people will remember (or at least be able to find on YouTube, or whatever video service we're playing with online in 2023).
Here they are:
1. Tiger Woods' triple bogey on No. 15 at Augusta -- I never thought a triple bogey would come in No. 1 on anybody's "10 most memorable shots" list in any year but this was the one we'll remember most and it's not even close.
2. Adam Scott's putt on No. 18 at Augusta -- The only shot this year that made me come out of my chair with excitement. "Come on, Aussie!"
3. Phil Mickelson's 3-wood at No. 17 at the British Open -- He said it was one of the best 3-woods he's ever hit in his life. It won him the Claret Jug.
4. Adam Scott's putt on No. 10 to win the Masters -- In the dark with Steve Williams on the read and another iconic fist pump. Scott had quite the 60-minute span at the Masters this year.
5. Phil Mickelson's missed putt for 59 at Phoenix Open -- This putt made me gasp out loud. My favorite part is still Bones falling to the ground in terror. "Bones is crushed!"
6. Jim Furyk's putt for 59 -- There wasn't much to it but the third 59 of this millennium deserves its own spot on this list.
7. Justin Rose's 4-iron to win US Open -- Criminally underrated as one of the shots of the season. To this green, with this flag position, with this much on the line. Might have been the most clutch iron hit all year (see 5:55 mark).
8. Phil Mickelson's iron on No. 18 at British Open -- Not sure why this is so low because it took some chutzpah to hit this one so close to the sand. A birdie that sealed the deal at Muirfield.
9. Sergio Garcia dunking it in the water at the Players Championship twice -- You knew it was coming and you still reveled in it anyway. A memorable cap to a pretty incredible Players Championship.
10. Jordan Spieth chips in at John Deere Classic to get into playoff -- This kid, what a year. This wasn't its genesis but it certainly helped shape his arc of 2013.
Jack Nicklaus nearly clips Doug Sanders with his putter after winning at St. Andrews
This gator fight is intense but ends with a whimper
The new rules are great, but they ultimately might not be enough
Pros have everything they need at the tips of their fingers for every tournament on tour
Is Bedminster about to be overrun with the president's security detail?
After what happened at the ANA Inspiration last month, legislation will surely follow