Football players who could have had good golf careers
Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Johnny Football, and Mark Ingram top our list of football players who could have had a career in golf.
The NFL kicks off this Thursday which means the following two things:
1. FOOTBALL IS BACK!!
2. Golf will be largely ignored for the rest of the year.
My editor, Andrew DeWitt, says the FedEx Cup Playoffs should end before Labor Day as to not try and share the stage with the NFL and he's probably right but that's another post for another time.
Right now I want to take a look at a list of football players who would have made darn good golfers (possibly PGA Tour-level golfers), starting with your favorite Dallas Cowboys QB.
1. Tony Romo (QB) -- If we were having a golf tournament with NFL players only and my life was on the line, I'm going with No. 9.
3. Peyton Manning (QB) -- Shot a 77 at Augusta this offseason which is great because he's a guy who really needs to catch a break or two.
4. Tom Brady (QB) -- Teamed up with Manning to take (probably) lots of cash off two businessmen while they were (probably) playing Spyglass this summer.
5. Johnny Manziel (QB) -- I don't know if he's a pro yet or not (I always assumed accepting money for the things you did made you a pro, I could be wrong though) but he's a dang good golfer given that he was shooting par at age 11.
6. Mark Ingram (RB) -- This is solid...
7. Kyle Williams (DL) -- According to this article on Golf.com Williams is a self-proclaimed zero handicap. That's good enough for me.
8. Drew Brees (QB) -- Once said he might make a run at pro golf when he's done with football.
9. Aaron Rodgers (QB) -- Finished T22 at the American Century Championship earlier this year which, from a quick glance at the leaderboard, is top three for NFL players who entered.
10. Ryan Longewell (K) -- That swing!
Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy and Justin Thomas all have a great chance to take the PGA Championship...
Rory McIlroy is still arguably the best driver of the golf ball in the game
Rory McIlroy owns PGA Championships, which is no surprise, but there are some other names who...
Jordan Spieth, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson are all in the top five, but none of them is No....
First-time winners, a history of Baltusrol and what this major means for the Ryder Cup
This is just the second PGA Championship at Baltusrol, but the history there is much richer...