Some pros not eager to return to Merion for another US Open
The players had a tough time at Merion Golf Club last week at the US Open, and now some are saying they'd rather not return.
A number of PGA Tour players spoke out this week about their experience at the US Open at Merion Golf Club, and most were not positive. Surprisingly, the uncharacteristically high scores last week had nothing to do with the players' ill will.
Instead, their main beef was with the way the tournament was run and the club's limitations, not the difficulty of play. For instance, players were forced to endure a 20-minute shuttle ride from the practice range to the first tee.
"We went from Olympic [last year's Open site], which was as smooth as a tournament could be, to Merion, which was just difficult," said Nicholas Thompson, according to Golf Digest. "It's a great golf course ... but there are no hotels near the course, and there's only one road leading to the course. So in the back of your mind, you're always thinking, 'Am I going to catch traffic and be late for my tee time?'"
There were some concerns leading up to the tournament, and the consensus seems to be that things could have been a lot better.
When asked if he'd like to see Merion host again, Charley Hoffman, who finished T-45 at the US Open, said, "No. It had horrible logistics. The gallery was very restricted. But I guess that's what happens when an organization runs a golf tournament."
The history at Merion is its main draw, but its overall lack of space appeared to have rankled many of the players. Changes will perhaps need to be made if the site of Ben Hogan's famous 1 iron is to see a major championship on its grounds again.
Our Latest Stories
Rory McIlroy got blown by on Thursday by the Englishman
The best player in the world looked the part against Webb Simpson and Martin Kaymer
The shoe company gives a nod to the Masters with these slick kicks
D.A. Points had a clean card on Thursday, and he was rewarded for it
It was not the best Wednesday for two of the top six golfers in the world
The No. 3 golfer in the world walked off the course against Pat Perez on Wednesday