After three weeks of play some teams are starting to show they belong while others have us questioning if football turned into baseball. Here's how my Top 25 looks this week with reports on how the Top 10 did along with my predictions.
1. USC (2-0) The Trojans came back after a bye week to spank Ohio State. Mark Sanchez threw for four touchdowns on only 170 yards while Rey Maualuga returned an interception for a TD. The Trojan defense limited the Buckeyes to just 207 yards and forced three turnovers. All in all it was a very impressive game for So Cal and after this win they are now my pick to win it all. This week they travel to Oregon State who dismantled Hawaii 45-7 this weekend. This could be a rough start for the Trojans after such a big win, but they will prevail, 31-17.
2. Oklahoma (3-0) The Sooners just keep putting up points. They beat Washington 55-14 and Sam Bradford threw for another 5 TDs and 300 yards. This offense cannot be stopped yet, they haven't had any huge games against good teams but they're impressive anyway. They had almost 600 yards of total offense against the Huskies. Next the Sooners play TCU on September 27th.
3. Georgia (3-0) The Dawgs decided to make things interesting this week beating South Carolina 14-7. This was a very close game in which SC fumbled in the end zone and threw an interception deep in Georgia territory in the 4th quarter. I think that the Bulldogs dodged a bullet here while the Gamecocks showed once again how deep the SEC is. Next the Dawgs take on Arizona State who lost to UNLV. This past week was a wake up call for both teams, but my prediction is that UGA takes them down, 38-24.
4. Missouri (3-0) The Tigers continue to impress almost everybody on the scoreboard. They beat Nevada 69-17. Chase Daniel threw for another 400 yards and 4 more touchdowns to his already gaudy stats. The Wolfpack isn't a good team by any means, but I think the Tigers will be ready for anybody including the poor Buffalo team they take on next. Prediction: Mizzou 63 Buffalo 19.
5. Florida (2-0) The Gators were idle this week after beating Miami (Fl) in week 2. Percy Harvin was back and Tim Tebow was superman once again. This Gators squad is solid and will be a front runner in the toughest conference in football. This week they travel to old Rocky Top in what should be and is always a great game. The Vols will give them all they can take but in the end I think the Gators come out on top, 28-24.
6. LSU (2-0) Beat North Texas 41-3. The Tigers are rolling in their OOC schedule but things should get pretty intense this week as they travel to Auburn in another huge SEC game. The Tigers offense ran for 216 yards against a weak North Texas team. Look for their running game to be limited in the week ahead in what should be a defensive battle with Auburn, my prediction: LSU 13 Auburn 9.
7. Texas (2-0) The Horns had their game with Arkansas delayed due to Hurricane Ike. This coming week they take on Rice in what should be another easy game. Horns 59 Rice 21.
8. Wisconsin (3-0) The Badgers traveled to Fresno on Saturday night and defeated a tough Bulldogs team that made mistakes during the game including 3 missed FG's. With that being said you have to give credit to UW for traveling out there and beating them. Allan Evridge left the game with cramps in his leg in the fourth quarter and the Badgers held off the late surge of the Bulldogs. PJ Hill ran for over 100 yards again and the Wisconsin defense tightened when they needed to. Next week the Badgers take on Michigan who is rebuilding to say the least. Badgers will win, my prediction: 34 - 17.
9. Alabama (3-0) The Tide beat Western Kentucky to remain undefeated and move up a couple of spots in my poll. Alabama had a balanced running attack with 280 yards and 3 TDs combined. John Parker Wilson threw for 2 more TDs and Julio Jones proved he is the best freshman WR in the country. The Tide have a tough test next week when they travel to Arkansas. I think that the Tide will roll over the Hogs in this battle, 24-18.
10. Auburn (3-0) The Tigers won against Mississippi State, 3-2.....yeah, 3-2. The Tigers defense was the highlight of this game, limiting MSU to just 116 total yards of offense. That's about it for that game. This week they take on LSU in what is IMO the best game of the week. I think the Tigers will play them tough, but lose to LSU, in a defensive game, 13-9.
- 11. East Carolina
- 12. Texas Tech
- 13. South Florda
- 14. Penn State
- 15. BYU
- 17. Oregon
- 18. Utah
- 19. Ohio State
- 20. Wake Forest
- 21. West Virginia
- 22. UNLV
- 23. Maryland
- 24. Illinois
- 25. Kansas
- 25. Fresno State
Some big games coming up this week in the SEC especially. USC could have a tough game, coming off the huge win against OSU. Auburn and LSU play a huge game as does Florida and Tennessee. If these teams all had losing records when they played, the games would still be huge, it's more about pride for these guys, same as Alabama and Arkansas. Alot of good games as a majority of the easy schedules are done with
Upset Alert: NC State could give East Carolina some trouble, other than that Georgia could run into some problems with Arizona State. All the rivalries I mentioned above wouldn't be upsets to me, they always play each other close.
Like always, let me know your opinions on who you think is up too high or down too low! Have a great week everybody!