- Islanders veterans Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Mike Comrie, Brendan Witt and Radek Martinek are expected to be on the block by the trade deadline, says Newsday. The paper notes the Blue Jackets may be a potential trade partner in regards to Weight, with defenseman Marc Methot going to New York in return.
- Philadelphia Flyers Chairman Ed Snider revealed to the Philadelphia Daily News the demolition of the Spectrum is tentatively scheduled for New Years Eve 2009.
- Chicago GM Dale Tallon may look to make a trade deadline deal for an experienced center if the Blackhawks have a chance to secure home ice in the playoffs, the Arlington Daily Herald reports. Some players believed to be of interest to the Hawks are Guerin, Weight, Los Angeles' Kyle Calder, Ottawa's Chris Neil, Toronto's Nik Antropov and the New York Islanders' Mike Sillinger, who is currently injured.
- A San Francisco bankruptcy judge is getting ready to straighten out the holdings of former Predators owner William "Boots" Del Biaggio, says the Toronto Star. It is possible the court could sell Del Biaggio's share of team to the highest bidder, and one person eyeing the portion is Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie. "We are monitoring the case with interest," Balsillie's lawyer, Richard Rodier, told the Star.
- Henrik Zetterberg is close to signing a long-term contract with the Red Wings, believed to be in the $7.5 million per season range, says the Detroit News.
- The Boston Globe suggests the Bruins are in the market for a top-four defenseman, and could pursue Jay Bouwmeester if the Florida Panthers put him on the trading block. Boston would probably have to give up a younger NHL player, a prospect and a first-round pick. The Globe says the Bruins would probably have to part with Milan Lucic or Blake Wheeler for a shot at the all-star defenseman.
Odds & Ends
Posted on: January 27, 2009 12:58 pm
Edited on: January 27, 2009 2:10 pm
Tags: Bill Guerin, Brendan Witt, Chicago Blackhawks, Chris Neil, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dale Tallon, Detroit Red Wings, Doug Weight, Florida Panthers, Henrik Zetterberg, Jay Bouwmeester, Kyle Calder, Los Angeles Kings, Marc Methot, Mike Comrie, Mike Sillinger, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders, Nik Antropov, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers, Radek Martinek, Toronto Maple Leafs