Tonight in the bullpen at Miller Park, wearing number 48 for the Milwaukee Brewers is pitcher Tim Dillard. It was 7 years ago, the Milwaukee Brewers would draft him as catcher in the 34th round of 2002 draft. It made me think, what happen in 2002 draft and where are some the players drafted by the Brewers in that draft currently doing in the game of baseball.
Its June of 2002, Brewers GM Dean Taylor and his staff are sitting with the 7th pick of the 2002 baseball draft. Dave Littlefield and the Pittsburgh Pirates have the over all #1 pick in 2002 draft. It was just short of a year that Littlefield was hired to replaced Cam Bonifay. Prior to his job with the Pirates, he was the assistant GM for then the Florida Marlins. Littlefield and his staff with the overall #1 pick would draft 6-4 222 right-handed pitcher from Ball State, Bryan Bullington. Bullington pitched a total of 6 games for the Pirates in the years of 05 and 07. Pitched 3 games for the Tribe in 08 and 4 games for the Jays this season. The 29 year old Bullington is back at Triple AAA Las Vegas. The 51ers are the Jays Triple AAA team.
The Devils Rays are next with the #2 pick of that 02 draft. They take a high school shortstop from Greenbrier Christian, by the name of BJ Upton. The Reds have the overall #3 pick in the draft, they select a 6-3 210 right-handed pitcher from Liberty High School in Brentwood California, by the name of Christopher Gruler. Gruler would be out of baseball by 2006.
The Orioles are #4 and they also go the high school route for a pitcher, a lefty from Fraser Valley Christian in British Columbia, Adam Loewen. Loewen has given up pitching, because of an injury. Currently playing outfield for the Jays high A team in Dunedin Florida.
The Montreal Expos are #5 on the clock. They also decide to go the High School route. The draft 6-2 170 right-handed pitcher Cypress Falls High School in Houston Texas, Clint Everts. 7 years later, Everts is pitching at double AA Harrisburg.
The Royals have the 6th pick of that draft. They also go the high school route for a young pitcher. Until this season, they had to wonder if they also made a mistake in that draft. They draft a 6-2 200 right-hander from Apopka High School in Apopka Florida, Zack Grienke.
Then its Dean Taylor's turn on the clock for the Milwaukee Brewers. Credit has to be given, where credit is due, Taylor makes the best pick so far in 2002 draft. He would selected the current Milwaukee Brewers that wears #28, Prince Fielder. The only question in the Brewers nation today, is how long will he wear the uniform of the Crew. Will the Crew be able to pony up to Scott Boras and Prince Fielder's demands, when his contract is up for renew ???
In that 2002 baseball draft 1486 players were drafted. 575 were drafted straight out of high school and 911 were drafted out of college. Of those 1486 players draft, 178 players or 11.9% have made it to the show.
Of the 42 players drafted by Dean Taylor and his staff. 3 of those players have wore the uniform of the Milwaukee Brewers in the show. Of course Prince Fielder from 05 thru 09. Tim Dillard who play in 08 and is waiting for his chance in 09. Pitcher Dana Eveland wore the uniform for the Crew in 05 and 06.
3 players in that draft, that were drafted by the Brewers, would play in the big leagues for a different team. Craig Breslow the lefty is wearing #56 for the Oakland A's. Breslow was cut by the Brewers in 04 and would be signed and play for the Padres in 05. He also has pitched in the majors with the Red Sox, Twins and Indians.
2nd baseman Callix Crabbe made it to the show for the Padres in 08. After being in the minors for the Crew until 07, he would be drafted in the rule 5 draft by the Padres. He plays in 21 games and bats .178, when he is return to the Crew in 08.
The biggest one that got away, is currently wearing #9 for the Houston Astros, that would be outfielder Hunter Pence. Most Brewer fans do not know he was drafted by the Crew in 02 with the 40th pick, but decided not to sign with the Crew. Instead he play 2 season for the University of Texas in Arlington. Then in the 04 he is drafted by the Astros in the 2nd round
List below is that draft class of 02 for the Milwaukee Brewers. I have how long they were with the Crew, if any.
1. Prince Fielder -1B -Eau Gallie High School(Melbourne,FL)
2. Joshua Murray -SS -Jesuit High School(Tampa,FL)-Played in the Brewers system until the end of 2006. The highest level he played at was High A for Brevard County. Career minor league average of .213. 2007 play independent baseball in South Coast league for the Charlotte County RedFish
3. Eric Thomas -P- University of South Alabama -could get him to sign until 2005 - played in 2003 for Joliet and 2004 for Bangor. In 05, played at all 3 levels Helena, West Virginia and Brevard County. Last stop was the Manatees a record of 0-2 an era of 17.47. He returns to baseball in 07 for the Golden League -Reno Silver Sox and then signs with the Angels. Plays at High A Rancho Cucamonga and has an era of 12.71 in 7 games. 08 plays 1 game for Sussex in the Can-Am League with an era of 54.00
4. Nic Carter-OF -Campbell University -play until 2003 at Beloit, where he was hitting .151 and was released. Finished with a career batting average of .220
5. Jarrad Page-SS -San Leandro High School (San Leandro,CA) -never signed with the Crew and play at UCLA. He is currently a safety for the Kansas City Chiefs
6. Khalid Ballouli-P -Texas A&M University -played in the Crew organization for 4 years, up to 2006. His last stop would be with the Huntsville Stars. A career record of 22-29 and an era of 5.06
7. Tom Wilhelmsen-P -Tucson High School (Tucson,AZ) was 5-5 2.76in 15 starts for Beloit in 2003, the future was looking quite bright. He gets himself into problems off the field and never returns to the Crew. Currently he can be found on the roster of Tucson Toros of the Golden Baseball League. His teammates are former Brewer Junior Spivey and the son of Robin Yount, Dustin Yount
8. Stephen Kahn-P-Servite High School (Anahiem)-the Crew could not get his name on the dotted line - He instead goes to Loyola Marymount. After his junior year, he is drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 5th round in 2005. Was pitching at Double AA San Antonio in 06, got injured. Pitches for the 1st time since 06, this season for the Mariners rookie team in Arizona. 3 earned runs in 1 inning of work
9. Edwin Walker-P -Highlands High School (San Antonio,TX) -pitched in the Crews organization until 2004. Last stop was Helena with a record of 4-2 an era of 5.57. Would be out of baseball in 05. Returns to Independent league San Angelo Colts in 06 and back out of baseball in 07. 08 would be 5-3 an era of 1.79 for the Frontier League Chillicothe Paints. Signed in 09 with the New York Yankees and pitching at low A for the Charleston Riverdogs
10. Jeremy Frost-C 22 -University of Central Florida-played in the Brewers farm system until the end of 2004 season. The highest level would be High A for the High Desert Mavericks. 2005 and 2006 for the St Paul Saints. He is signed by the White Sox in 07 and plays at double AA Birmingham. Career .258 hitter
11. Brian Hernandez-C -John Leonard High School (Greenacres,FL) -He would not sign with the Crew, instead plays baseball for the Duke Blue Devils in 03 and 04. No more baseball after that I could find
12. Callix Crabbe-2B-Manatee Community College-played in the Brewers farm system until 2007 at Triple AAA Nashville. Would be selected by the Padres as a rule 5 player in 08, by the San Diego Padres. He plays in 21 games for the Padres and was batting .176, when he is returned to the Crew on May 16th. Plays the rest of the season at Triple AAA Nashville. In 09, he is allowed to go free agent and is signed by Big Z and the Seattle Mariners. He is currently playing at Triple AAA - Tacoma
13. Tila Reynolds-SS -University of Washington -would not sign with the Crew and return for his senior year at Washington. Drafted in 03 in the 11th round by the D-Backs. Played in D-Backs organization until the end of 04, last stop Low A for the South Bend Silver Hawks. Signed as free agent and plays 3 games for the Rockies farm team in Asheville North Carolina in 05
14. Kennard Bibbs-OF -Oklahoma City University-played with the Crew farm system in 2006, having Triple AAA Nashville being his last stop. Did not play in 2007. Return to baseball in 08, with the Sioux Falls Canaries of the American Association. Playing in 09 for the El-Paso Diablos
15. Justin Barnes-C -Manatee Community College - starting playing for the Crew farm system in 04. Was 9-2 with an era of 3.18 at West Virginia 05. On December 21st 2005, he is traded to the Kansas City Royals for pitcher Chris DeMaria. Would be in the Royals organziation until 07, last stop Double AA Wichita. Pitched for the New Jersey Jackals in 08 in the Can/Am League
16. Dana Eveland-P -Hill College -Pitch for the Crew in 05 and 06. Is traded by the Crew to the D-Backs along with David Krynzel and Doug Davis for Johnny Estrada, Greg Aquino and Claudio Vargas. The D-Backs would trade him to the Oakland A's. He, Brett Anderson, Greg Smith, Aaron Cunningham, Carlos Gonzalez and Chris Carter for Dan Haren and Connor Robertson. Currently pitching at Triple AAA Sacramento.
17. Adam Mannon-OF -Hamilton High School(Chandler,AZ) -played in the Crew farm system until 05, last stop was low A West Virginia. Career .238 hitter
18. Steven White-P-Baylor University -would not sign with the Crew and return for his senior season for the Baylor Bears. Drafted by the Yankees in 03 in the 4th round. Pitched in the Yankees farm system until 08, last stop was Triple Wilkes Barre/Scranton
19. Bo Hall-P -University of Central Florida-pitched in the Crews farm system until 07 season. His last stop in the Brewers organization would be Huntsville. In 08, he pitches for Corpus Christi double AA for Houston and Trenton and Scranton for the Yankees.
20. Tyler Shepple-P -University of Washington -pitched only in 02 for the Ogden Raptors. He appear in 25 games with a record of 3-4 an era of 7.49
21. Joshua Alliston-P -Long Beach State University -He pitches for the Crew farm system until 2006. His last stop would be High A at Brevard County. He would be claim by the Oakland A's in the rule 5 draft. He pitched in the A's minor system for the 2007 season
22. Lendon Willis-3B-Motlow State Community College -He played 02 and 03 for the Crew's rookie team in Arizona.
23. Keith Bohanan-IF -Oklahoma City University -he plays in 02 with Ogden Raptors and 03 for the Beloit Snappers. His career average would be .189
24. Arturo Bravo-C -Montgomery High School (San Diego,CA)-He plays in 12 games for the Crew's Arizona Brewers in 02 and that would be all. Career average is .189
25. John Vanden Berg-C-University of Wisconsin Milwaukee -The son of the Brewers field manager, play in the Crews organization until 2005. His last stop would be at double AA Huntsville. Career average was .289
26. Craig Breslow-P -Yale University -thats right, this is the lefty reliver for the Oakland A's in 2009. Would play in the Crews farm system until July 6th of 04, when he is released by the Crew with an era of 7.19 at High A High Desert. Is signed by the Padres and pitches in the Big leagues in 05. Goes Free agent and signs and plays for the Red Sox in 06. In 07 pitches at Triple AAA Pawtucket for the Red Soxs. 08 place on waivers by the Red Sox and gets signed by the Indians. Then claimed on waivers later in 08 by the Twins. 09 claimed off waivers by the A's
27. Dallas Bates-OF -Chandler High School -(Chandler,AZ)-he plays in the Crews farm system until 05. His last stop would be at low A West Virginia. Career batting average of .253
28. Eric Thomas-P 22-Southern University -would be confused with the other Eric Thomas that was drafted earlier. He pitches for the Crew in 02 of Odgen.
29. Steve Moss-OF-Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks,CA) -played in the Brewers farm system until 2007. His last stop would be at double AA Huntsville. He would be released by the Crew. In 2008, he plays for Steve Yeager and the Long Beach Armada of the Golden Baseball League. He gets sign by Big Z and the Mariners and plays at Tacoma and later Low A Clinton and then he is released
30. Justin Gabriel-P-University of Louisiana-Lafayette -Justin plays 2 seasons in the Brewers organization. In 02 for rookie ball Ogden and in 03 for the Snappers. Career record 4-2 era of 4.14
31. Jason Baker-P-George Washington University -The former DeMatha High School Star, played 2 seasons with the Crew. In 02 for Odgen and 03 for Beloit. Career record 9-7 era of 4.40
32. Simon Beresford-P-Tyler Junior College -born in Melbourne Australia. Played in the Brewers organization for 3 years, until the 2005 season. His last stop would be at low A -West Virginia. Career record 8-10 era of 4.76
33. Jeff Housman-P-Cal State Fullerton -pitched in the Brewers organization until 07. It was an up and down years in the minors. Played Ogden, Beloit Huntsville and Indianapolis. It was with the Indians, he gets hurt and pitches in 05 for Triple AAA Nashville with little success 5-12 an era of 6.54. 06-07 it wuld be back to Double AA Huntsville.
34. Tim Dillard-C-Itawamba Community College-thats right, drafted has a catcher and the current call up by the Crew.
35. Manny Cividanes-Colegio San Antonio (San Juan,PR) -would not sign with the Crew and would instead play at Broward College. Drafted by the Giants in the 16th round of 04 draft. Played at the Giants rookie team in Arizona until 07
36. Daniel Carter-P-Tallahassee Community College -does not sign and never gets drafted again
37. Stephen Bryant-C-Warren Central High School (Indianapolis,IN) -would not sign with the Crew and never gets drafted again
38. David Hancox-P-Pasco-Hernando Community College -did not sign with the Crew and never gets drafted again
39. John Herrera-P -Arizona Western College- did not sign with the Crew and play 3 years of college baseball. He would be drafted again by the Oakland A's in the 10th round in 05. Plays in the A's organization until 07. His last stop would be High A and the Stockton Ports of the California League
40. Hunter Pence-OF-TexasArkana College - thats right the star outfielder of the Houston Astros. The Brewers could not get the Arlington Texas High School Star to become a Brewer. Instead Hunter plays 2 seasons at University of Texas -Arlington. He would then be drafted in the 2nd round in 04, but his current team the Houston Astros
41. Jonathan Shapland-OF-St. Petersburg College-he would not sign with the Crew, instead plays college baseball at Florida Atlantic and never gets drafted again
42. Neil Avery-P-Dartmouth High School (South Dartmouth,MA)-did not sign and never drafted again
The draft in the hole in the top rounds was quite a bust, Taylor did well with his #1 pick of Prince, but his next 10 never made it to the show. Heck none of the other top 10 would get past Double AA baseball.
Only the baseball gods know, if #34 pick and wearing #48 Tim Dillard will help the Crew in 09 and beyond
Enjoy your baseball and Go Crew
24-7-365 Sports Rock