We are getting down to it folks. Most teams have only one or two games left. Of the unbeatens, TCU has the easiest path with a game at woeful New Mexico. Your supposed to start a season against a cup cake not end it. Oregon has Arizona and Oregon St. left. The Ducks might break a sweat against them but that's about it. Bosie actually has to play a couple of games that might make them break a sweat too. Fresno will bring their A game to Boise but the real test comes at Nevada. Auburn has the hardest road. The play at Alabama and then SEC conference championship versus South Carolina. With all that's going on with Cam Newton I can't see the Tigers winning both of these games. If they do they have earned the right to play for the national title hands down.
And now it's time for what this blog is all about. Please sit back enjoy a foamy coffee and an nice pastry and enjoy my top 25 ballot for The Best D@mn Poll In The Land .
1. Oregon - Win over Cal will win the Ducks no style points. But I was Impressed the Duck D
limited Cal to less than 200 total yards. Also an offense that is used to striking fast held the
ball for the final 9:30 of the game. You gotta know Tedford thought for sure his offense
would get the ball back a couple of times before it was over. But instead the Cal offense got
to play bench warmers. NEXT: Bye LW-1
2. Boise St. - Spanked the Idaho JV team in the high school gym. That’s what it looked like on
TV. Heard Vandal fans called Boise a former Truck Driving School. Funny stuff. Maybe
they should have talked a little less smack and played a little more football. NEXT: Fresno
St. LW - 2
3. Auburn - Fact. Cam stole a laptop. Fact. Except for establishing a patten of poor decisions
the laptop is irrelevant. Fact. Cam is a great football player. Supposition. Cam is playing for
money. Until I hear real evidence that changes supposition to fact here they will stay.
NEXT: Bye LW - 3
4. TCU - San Diego St lost. But there is a little manufactured triumph for the Aztecs. They have
made it known they are ready to fill the void left by Utah and BYU leaving. If TCU stays in
the MWC it will have TCU, Boise St., Nevada, Fresno St, and San Diego St. there playing
good football. Yea, the Mountain West will be fine...if they can hold onto TCU. NEXT:
Bye LW - 4
5. Wisconsin - Note to people who cry because they feel the Badgers run up the score. It is the
job of opposing defenses to limit the amount of points the Badgers score not the Wisconsin
offense. Now run off to Mamby-Pamby Land, Jackwagons! NEXT: @ Michigan (They
might need those 83 points against the Wolverines. Will it be running up the score then?)
LW - 5
6. Stanford - Got a little help from visually impaired refs. But still put ASU away. By the way
the Sun Devils lost to three ranked teams, Wisconsin, USC, and Stanford by combined 6
points. They are 8 points away from being 8-2 instead of 4-6. NEXT: Bye LW - 6
7. LSU - Feasted on Warhawks. NEXT: Ole Missoli Rebel Bear Thingies LW - 7
8. Nebraska - Still on track to leave the BIG XII - 2 as the best team in the conference. There
is no way the BIG XII - 2 doesn’t become weaker with out the Cornhuskers.
NEXT: @ Texas A&M LW - 8
9. Ohio St. - The Buckeyes are quietly taking care of business at #9. Is it me or do the
Buckeyes pretty much always quietly take care of business where ever they are ranked?
NEXT: @Iowa LW - 9
10. Michigan St. - After their bye week I almost forgot these guys existed. But this week the
Spartans play the Jekyll and Hyde Boilermakers. Exactly how did they beat Northwestern
in their building and lose to the Toledo Rockets at home? Ridiculous. NEXT: @ Purdue
LW - 10
11. Oklahoma St. - Cowboys offense keep blazing along. And it seems even the defense has
decided to play a little too. NEXT: @ Kansas LW - 11
12. Alabama - For a second when I saw Saban yelling at back-up QB A.J. McCarron I
thought I had accidently switched it too the South Carolina game. Then I realized I saw no
visor. NEXT: Georgia State (Who? Next I’ll hear there is a Texas State.) LW - 12
13. Arkansas - I’m just not sure about Mallett. Don’t get me wrong he is a good QB. But I just
have this feeling that just before he plays his first NFL game someone is going to slip a
jersey that says Leaf on the back. NEXT: @ Cowbell State LW - 14
14. Missouri - Play the Cyclones. Who mainly cycle from good team, to bad team, to good
team, to mainly bad team. Who will show up to play the Tigers. NEXT: @ Iowa St.
LW - 17
15. Oklahoma - Have tough last two games at Baylor and at Okie St. I just don’t see the
Sooners pulling both of these out. They have played three away games so far and only won
one of them. And that win was at Cincinnati by 2 points. And we all know good Cincinnati
isn’t this year. NEXT: @ Baylor LW - 18
16. Nevada - Struggled at Fresno. But Fresno always brings their A game for ranked
opponents. Still The Bulldogs reinforced in my mind how weak the Wolf Pack D is. I think
the Auburn defense is better. That’s pretty bad. NEXT: Tune up time with New Mexico St.
(You watch. The Nevada defense will give up 24 points to the Aggies.) LW - 20
17. Virginia Tech - Winning 8 in a row, the Turkey Birds are flying high now after having their
goose cook by Boise and an FCS team that is now 5-5. Yikes. Still VT has engineered, see
how I did that, a respectable season. NEXT: @ Miami, Fl LW - 21
18. South Carolina - I sometimes I think the Gamecocks are an enigma, wrapped in a visor,
wrapped in an overripe banana peel. Normally you just have to wait and either they will
trip on visor or slip on a banana peel just when they should be cruising. And then out of
nowhere they will bring their full on A game. Gators got a taste of that A game in their own
building. NEXT: Troy (Banana peel time?) LW - NR
19. USC - Looking better every week. Kiffen looks like he just might get to stick around after
the Trojans get their ankle bracelets off. It looks like the Cover None defense is learning to
Cover Some...times too. NEXT: @ Oregon State (I suspect the mental fog that follows the
Trojans to Corvallis will lift this time.) LW - 23
20. Texas A&M - You know I told an Aggies joke a couple of weeks ago and I feel bad so
here’s another. Why did the Aggie get fired from the M&M plant as a quality control
inspector? He kept throwing out all the W&W's! NEXT: Nebraska (An Aggie win could
make things very messy in the BigXII - 2.) LW - 22
21. Arizona - The Wildcats get a break and the four game gauntlet continues. They dropped the
first two. I think after their bye they get abused by the Ducks and the Sun Devils, finishing
with four game skid. Ouch. NEXT: Bye LW - 16
22. Iowa - I can no longer on any level justify having Iowa ranked ahead of Arizona. Doesn’t
matter. I doubt, in a couple of weeks, I’ll have either team ranked. The point will be moot.
NEXT: Ohio St. LW - 13
23. Mississippi St. - Can’t punish the Cowbells to much for losing to the Tide. Everyone knew
it was going to happen. They won’t be able to survive losing to Arkansas. NEXT: Arkansas
LW - 19
24. Utah - The Utes have now entered full on meltdown mode. The meltdown should
continue. NEXT: @ San Diego St. LW - 15
25. Miami, FL - I debated which Florida team to rank here. For some reason I chose Miami.
NEXT: Virginia Tech LW - NR
Exiled from the poll for bad football: UCF, San Diego St.
Looking for a reprieve: Northern Illinois, San Diego St., Florida St., Navy, Hawaii, Northwestern, North Carolina St., Temple, Syracuse. We are in the home stretch now. Still some good football to be played yet. But I see some good bowls, and some not so good bowls around the corner. Just...a...couple...more...games.