Welcome to my first entry in my brand new blog. I've been ranking teams for several years now on my own, always willing to share my ideas with my friends, but I finally decided it's time to put my own Top 25 up for all to see. Check back each week to see how my take on the current best teams in college football. Please feel free to comment on my picks, but please leave real comments, not just insults because I didn't rank your team where you want it.
Without further ado, my first posted top 25.
1. Florida - While I'm still not sure if they are the best team, that Kentucky win was pretty impressive. Gators just better hope that Tebow is back before LSU on Oct. 10, or they are going to be in serious trouble.
2. Texas - With nothing else to separate these two teams, I'm just going to have to go with whichever had the most impressive win the week before. In this case Kentucky on the road gives Florida the nod over Texas, but with the impressive play from both sides of the ball, it won't take much for me to put Texas in the top spot.
3. Alabama - Not overly impressed with this team, was planning on moving them down this week if any of the teams immediately behind them won, but with Mississippi, Penn State and Cal all losing, I have no one else I can justify putting here.
4. Virginia Tech - Jumping them up here after that impressive win against Miami, where they limited Heisman Hopeful Jacory Harris to only 150 yards and no TDs. Add in the fact that they rushed for almost 300 yards, and you have a very good looking team in Blacksburg.
5. Boise State - Seems a little high to be putting them here, but with the impressive win against Oregon, and a big win at Fresno State, there doesn't seem to be a legitimate reason to keep them out of this spot. Look for them to fall as other teams play tougher schedules in the near future, but without a loss, this will probably be a top 7 or 8 team all season.
6. LSU - Another team that moves up only because everyone above them is moving down. No impressive win on their resume yet, but they could really solidify this spot with games against Georgia and Florida coming up.
7.Oklahoma - Moving up slightly without having to do anything. Even with Bradford back, this team is going to have problems if they can't get better play from the O-line.
8. Houston - Narrow escape that was against Texas Tech, but Houston still has a pretty impressive resume for this early in the season. With no other team just jumping out at me (and refusing to buy in to the hype for USC until I see an impressive win), this is an easy pick.
9. Mississippi - Close loss, and the rally at the end, lead me to leave them in the top 10 for now, given that South Carolina figures to be at least a middle of the road team in the SEC.
10. Kansas - One of the few remaining solid undefeateds. Playing some solid competition, KU gets the nod here over Cincinnati based on potential alone, since neither team has played spectacularly, but is still without a loss.
11. Cincinnati - Another undefeated team, playing some decent competition. Nothing in the win to make me go crazy though. The fact that they haven't lost gives them the nod over teams like USC and Ohio State.
12. TCU - The best chance the Mountain West has to break into the BCS, the Horned Frogs were pretty impressive in that come-from-behind win, with some good defense down the stretch.
13. Oklahoma State - Good win against Georgia, and close loss to Houston, gives OSU a good enough resume to be in this spot, even with the loss.
14. California - While they did get blown out, it was on the road to a team that was expected to be pretty good this year. They better be ready for USC this week, or they may drop from the rankings completely.
15. Miami - That loss was ugly, and may have just knocked Jacory Harris out of contention for the Heisman.
16 Brigham Young - Still have a bad taste in my mouth after that home blowout against Florida State. It doesn't taste any better after Florida State lost to South Florida this week.
17. Penn State - While that loss was embarrasing, at least it was to a much improved Iowa team that has a decent shot in the Big Ten this year
18. USC - still not impressed by this team, can't justify putting them any higher than this. Name recognition is not a good reason.
19. Ohio State - nice win, but this team is not consistent enough to deserve any higher of a ranking. See USC comment, and include tradition in that note.
20. Oregon - Losing to Boise on the road is their only blemish, that thrashing of Cal was very impressive, even if it was at home.
21. Iowa - That was an impressive win, but I'm not quite sold that they are a true elite team.
22.Georgia - After that tough loss to Oklahoma State, they are playing much better. Expect a jump if they can pull off a win against LSU this week.
23. Missouri - Solid games, good wins so far. Probably should have won by more against Nevada, but the game was on the road, so I'll give them a break there.
24. Michigan - Good wins, especially that game against Notre Dame, cause me to bring Michigan in at the 24 spot.
25. Nebraska - That loss to Virginia Tech hurt, but not enough to keep them out of the rankings.
Next 5 (in no particular order): Auburn, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, South Florida, Utah